Author Topic: Keyboard "going to sleep" in Elite dangerous  (Read 2780 times)

HydraX

Keyboard "going to sleep" in Elite dangerous
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
Hello!

I managed to setup VA for Elite dangerous and it recognizes all my commands well, however it randomly stops working and I notice my keyboard is unresponsive (I fly in VR with a HOTAS Thrustmaster, so I only use the keyboard for typing navigation). If I press keys, the keyboard "wakes up" and VA commands function again.

Any ideas what causes this? VA is recongizing my commands for sure because it speaks the text I associated with the requested command in game but does't actually press the input for me.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you : :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Keyboard "going to sleep" in Elite dangerous
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »
That's odd. What is your command target set to? Does the Elite:Dangerous window have focus at all times?

It depends on the game, but some still take joystick input when focus is lost, so I'm wondering whether VA is sending input to the wrong window(possibly because another application grabs focus).
This is less likely because the physical keyboard apparently gets it working again, so unless E:D responds to keyboard input(different from virtual keypresses) by grabbing focus, it's probably something else.

If that is what's happening, your command target would have to be set to "Active Window", as explicitly targeting E:D should cause VoiceAttack to explicitly change focus to that window before sending anything.

You could test my hypothesis by running a command containing something like
Code: [Select]
Write '[Blue] {ACTIVEWINDOWTITLE}' to logWhen the input commands stop working; If it doesn't output E:D's window title to the log, it confirms E:D is losing focus somehow(You could of course use TTS instead, so you can hear the window title in VR).

HydraX

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »
I suspected it might have to do with window focus so I had already tried both selecting ED and active window. Same results. My guess is some sort of conflict between using both keyboard and the Joystick, possibly... regardless, it's a strange problem, and roaming the forums or google yielded nothing...

mIRCon

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »
Do you use Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. software or not?
Not that it might mean something but just checking. If you do maybe to try to uninstall it and then test it again just to confirm or reject such hypothesis.

HydraX

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »
Hey,

No just plug and play with a T16000m.

After further testing I can 100% confirm that it's a problem of "target window" as if I alt tab and back in it works. (temporarily) and as I said, I've tried both target window and selecting ED directly. No luck on either, it's very frustrating to yell landing gear 10x times and then poke around your desk to look for the keyboard while in VR lol :)

amadeus1171

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
This happens to me, too.  I usually have to say a command more than once before the key press is recognized.