Author Topic: Line Numbers in "When I Say" and Log Output to File  (Read 2576 times)

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
Line Numbers in "When I Say" and Log Output to File
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »
As I troubleshoot advanced systems with many commands, some merely functions to be called, I go between Notepad++ and the VA "When I Say" box to more easily view large systems with many conditions and loops.  It would be very helpful to have a feature that toggles visible line numbers in the "When I Say" entry box to quickly reference a particular section of a large command.  An ability to click the number to add a highlight would be a wonderful bonus as well.

Another feature that could be solved with "write to file" commands inside a command would be to allow a simple toggle for the entire log output in the VA main window to a specified file in the configuration.  I find I use a lot of "Write a Value to the Event Log" entries in my commands for troubleshooting and testing, and when something wrong crashes or hangs up VA, the log window is of course wiped and becomes unusable until restart.  I'll keep using the "Write Text to a File" for a manual version of this request, but the output does lack a few details that the VA Event Log shows such as plugin events, etc.

If we could toggle the VA Event Log to output to file, it would require far fewer "Write Text to a File" entries as opposed to simply "Write a Value to the Event Log" entries, and would provide all extra info such as plugin events in a single file for review in the case of an error causing VA to hang or crash.