Author Topic: Pause Until "Keyword"  (Read 3579 times)

scottb613

Pause Until "Keyword"
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
Hi Folks,

I use VA with flight simulators and have it reading checklists for various phases of flight... This happens often in large commercial aircraft... I do it now my just reading the checklist line item - then pausing for a few seconds - then read the next line item... It's not ideal and sometimes I'm playing catch up or I miss something... Some of these checklists are quite long and it's really a PITA if you get out of synch... We currently can pause for a given amount of seconds during a command execution... It would be far better if we could make it a bit more interactive...

Humbly request "Pause Until" waiting on whatever verbal phrase you care to assign before continuing the execution to the next line item... Like "check", "roger", "set"...

Thanks for all you do - love this little program....

Regards,
Scott

EDIT by Pfeil: This can be accomplished using the "Wait For Spoken Response" response action
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:38:49 AM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Pause Until "Keyword"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
I have what you are talking about whiteboarded, plus a simple, 'yes/no' confirmation in the pipeline as a shortcut around having to do it yourself (there are already ways to do this with VA, but they require a little bit of legwork).

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
It would be great to have this kind of functionality built into VoiceAttack!

But until then maybe check out the profile sample I uploaded here (for Mass Effect 3). Basically I needed to "teach" VoiceAttack the state of the game and I built some commands to handle user-provided input. I also built in some logic that allows a set number of response attempts before the command self-terminates, and there is a timed window to provide the response.

Others may have cleaner ways of doing this, but it worked for me :)

scottb613

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for the responses -I’ll defeinately take a look at your profile - thanks for sharing... I had tried this once before and it just seemed complicated - with pages of checklists it wasn’t practical - using the dicatation feature... Again - I am always open to suggestions and will check your link...

Hi Gary,

If you happen to go down this path - one other feature to consider - when paused - if there was a way to repeat the last verbal instruction issued would be helpful as well... Sometimes you miss it... It’s pretty immersive having this setup and with the features mentioned here it would be over the top... In a transport category aircraft - I have the copilot reading the checklist - but he owns some of the tasks too - so he’s reading - I’m setting stuff - he’s reading the tasks assigned to himself - throwing switches - and reporting them complete - makes for a busy a realistic feeling cockpit... Great stuff... I’m constantly promoting your product on the boards as well... Thanks again for the consideration...

Regards,
Scott

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:31:04 AM »
There's an example of the checklist system I use in this topic. As Gary said, it requires some "legwork", but it's designed to be easy to edit and expand.

One thing a "passive" checklist(one that doesn't actively, programmatically, checks any ingame parameters) doesn't require is waiting; The state can be incremented by your "check" command, after which the next checklist item is read, and the entire system does nothing until you give another command.
This also means it's unaffected by stopping all commands(which a "waiting" system using any time of loop would be stopped by).

scottb613

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
Hi...

Thanks as well - let me take a gander and see if I can figure it out...

Appreciate the help and response...

Regards,
Scott