Author Topic: VA keeps crashing - Please help  (Read 6276 times)

amcb10

VA keeps crashing - Please help
« on: December 25, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »
As the title says, my VA keeps crashing and when I restart it does not recognise that my Elite ship is in open space, just thinks it is docked.

I have attached the fault log so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA keeps crashing - Please help
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
Are you using a plugin by chance?  Have you tried disabling plugins?  Go to Options>General>Deselect, 'Enable Plugin Support'.  Restart VoiceAttack.  If VoiceAttack continues to work without crashing, you'll need to review your plugins and determine which plugin is breaking VoiceAttack.

Hope that helps!

amcb10

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 08:37:27 AM »
The only plugin I have is the HCS Journal reader plugin and also the BindED.

No others are installed.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
Did you try turning off plugin support?

If turning off plugins makes the problem go away, you will need to contact HCS and let them know that their plugin is breaking under certain conditions. It's possible that frontier has changed something that the plugin does not like.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
There are no known issues with the HCS plugin or Elite causing issues with it at this time.

The reason why the game state gets out of whack when VA crashes is because the variables we use are not committed to disk until VA is cleanly shutdown. If it crashes then all of them will revert back to the state they were in the last time you closed VA. It's very important that when you restart VA you log out and back into Elite, main menu will do. When you load into the game then important settings, like game state, are passed to the profile. All will be well if you do this.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

amcb10

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:15:06 AM »
That's all well and good but I would prefer VA not to crash in the first place.

I have disabled the HCS plugins and VA seems to be working ok so I guess there is an issue with them.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »
That's up to you but I assure you there are no issues with our plugins. The profiles will not work without them. I'd recommend a complete wipe of VA and reinstall as that often clears any odd things happening.
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

amcb10

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
Well, that response was fully expected.

If VA is now working fine (no more crashing) and all I have done is disable the plugins then I guess it must be Santa's elves that are messing with it.

One thing for sure is I won't be buying any more HCS packs if that is the response you get to a problem.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
And what happens if you reinstall the plugins?

Side note: One thing that it *could* be is a malformed journal entry from Elite Dangerous. I am not saying that this is WHAT causing the issue, but a potential source of the problem.

amcb10

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
I will give that a go and report back once I've used it for a bit.

mIRCon

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 01:17:13 AM »
What also would be useful is to actually delete all HCS Voice Pack profiles from Voice Attack while plugins are disabled and after that  enable plugins support and restart VA just to see if it'll crash again or not upon VA restart. Then import new profile (any of HCS profiles) and restart VA to see if it'll crash again.
What is also not being said is the HCS Voice Pack being used, profile and it's version along with Voice Attack version, and those are also interesting information when troubleshooting some issue.

amcb10

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
I thought I would report back on my findings.

So I did a full clean install, new directory and just 1 HCS pack and plugins.  I still had the same problem with random crashes.

I then set the executable to run in Windows 7 compatible mode and so far it has been rock solid.

Not really sure it decided to dislike Windows 10 but all seems ok now.

mIRCon

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
So, HCS Plugins and HCS Voice pack running in the latest version of Voice Attack are now working correctly (when you selected WIndows 7 compatibility mode) right?
I would highly recommend you to re-check your Windows 10 installation, image (DISM) and system files (sfc) along with the latest drivers for your hardware etc. Something is causing the issue and although you might think it's plugin related it's probably something else in your installation.
At least you got it working ok in the mean time until you fix the main issue.