Author Topic: Crash after install Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime  (Read 3265 times)

DeeM77

Crash after install Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
I thought I would try the alternate Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime for better recognition. But I encountered a problem. After installation it just crashes VA on startup.

This occures on a fresh W10 installation. I reinstalled W10 again but still a no go.

Code: [Select]
System.ArgumentException: 'CultureInfo.InvariantCulture' is not a valid value for this operation.
Parameter name: value
   at Microsoft.Speech.Recognition.SrgsGrammar.SrgsDocument.set_Culture(CultureInfo value)
   at VoiceAttack.SpeechPlatformSDK.(List`1 , Int32 , Int32 , String )
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain..()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()System.ArgumentException: 'CultureInfo.InvariantCulture' is not a valid value for this operation.
   at Microsoft.Speech.Recognition.SrgsGrammar.SrgsDocument.set_Culture(CultureInfo value)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()System.ArgumentException: 'CultureInfo.InvariantCulture' is not a valid value for this operation.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Crash after install Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
Interesting.  Can you try something for me?  This is going to require a little bit of legwork, but what I need you to do is to rename your VoiceAttack.dat file to VoiceAttack.old (or whatever), so that VoiceAttack will create a new .dat file.  What I'm trying to find out is if there is something in one of your existing profiles that the speech engine is not liking. 

To rename your VoiceAttack.dat file, simply go into this folder:
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\VoiceAttack    (You may have to turn on the ability to see hidden files and folders)
In there, you'll find VoiceAttack.dat.  Rename that.
Run VoiceAttack and see if it starts up with your new speech engine. 
If it starts up, there's something in the old .dat file that's not good.  If you can, please zip up that old .dat file and send it to me at support@voiceattack.com and I can try it out in debug.  Also, indicate what speech engine you are trying to use.

DeeM77

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
Hi Gary,

You got mail.  ;)

I've renamed the file and VA loads up with Speech Platform 11. Then I wanted to import the new eddi.vap and it will crash instantly.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
Can you email me the eddi .vap that you are using (if you haven't)?

Thank you, btw.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »
Which language did you choose to install?  I'll make sure to put that one on my machine as well.

DeeM77

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
Thanks again for sending me all that.

Ok, another quick question.  If you go into the Options screen, then go to the, 'Recognition' tab, are you using the, 'Lightweight' speech engine?  I'm not able to make VA crash unless I use that one.  I would suggest changing to another engine if that is the one that is selected, as it's not liking something in the EDDI profile (thinking it might be the question marks... not sure yet).  What I'm going to do is try to trap this exception, as well as see if I can prevent profiles that are problematic in this manner to even be imported.  Again, it's not the profile itself (it works on the five other engines I've got installed), but rather the way a speech engine is interpreting its contents.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
Doh... just saw your other email.  Yeah... don't select the, 'Lightweight' engine.  I'm thinking I may just try to not list that as even an option.

Edit - Left it in as an option, just going to issue a warning and then also trap the exception closer to the point where it is happening and give a nicer message ;)  Should have a new beta soon.

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:25:52 PM by Gary »