Author Topic: Mini-profiles or mode activation  (Read 9366 times)

zen17h

Mini-profiles or mode activation
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »
I was thinking of an option to enable/disable a group of commands:
For example in Elite Dangerous:

"Combat mode on" would enable the use of select short commands
   "Fire" - Fires primary weapon
   "Shields" - a quick power toggle to shields (as opposed to an always active "shields up" command to put ALL power to shields)
   "Weapons" same as above with weapons
   "Engines" same as above with engines
   etc.

"Combat mode off" would disable the use of these commands again

Of course all of this can be done in the current version using profiles, but it seems like overkill to make a whole new profile for just a handful of commands
I'm thinking it can be used similar to how prefix/suffixes are currently being used - assign a command to a group, then 'activate' it like with a prefix (except it stays active afterwards), say whatever (multiple) commands you want and when done just 'deactivate' the group again

Antaniserse

• Global Moderator
    • My VA plugins
Re: Mini-profiles or mode activation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
I was thinking of an option to enable/disable a group of commands:
For example in Elite Dangerous:

"Combat mode on" would enable the use of select short commands
   "Fire" - Fires primary weapon
   "Shields" - a quick power toggle to shields (as opposed to an always active "shields up" command to put ALL power to shields)
   "Weapons" same as above with weapons
   "Engines" same as above with engines
   etc.

"Combat mode off" would disable the use of these commands again

You can do this by the use of a simple boolean condition; your two state commands will be

"Combat mode on"
Code: [Select]
   Set Boolean [CombatMode] to True
"Combat mode off"
   Set Boolean [CombatMode] to False

Then, in all the other commands that requires the state to be ON, simply use
    Begin Boolean Compare : [CombatMode] Equals True
        <all the normal actions and keypresses>
    Else
        Say "Warning: combat mode disabled"
    End Conditionmet
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:21:37 AM by Antaniserse »
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin

zen17h

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:16 AM »
That's also a possibility, but I thought voice recognition may have some trouble with such short commands if they were permanently active, so this would be effectively disabling them until they are more likely to be used
(No idea if this would be an actual issue, but I had a slightly higher rate of failed recognition when using one word/syllable commands)

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
That's also a possibility, but I thought voice recognition may have some trouble with such short commands if they were permanently active, so this would be effectively disabling them until they are more likely to be used
(No idea if this would be an actual issue, but I had a slightly higher rate of failed recognition when using one word/syllable commands)

You might find that tweaking the confidence levels around (higher or lower, depending on preference) , or run through the training windows voice training a couple more time will help with that.

You are correct in that VA can have issues with "single word" commands (or to be more accurate, low syllable count words), but if you keep the commands relatively distinct, a lower confidence level can help with that.

With how Antaniserse has suggested, it get recognised *but nothing happens* unless combat mode is actually enabled.

There can be other problems with VA (ambient noise, echo cancellation) that can screw up the recognition, but they will happen with long or short commands.

Rhaedas

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »

Since VA is looking for probability of matches rather than exact, this is why several words work better. A partial hit on two is seen as a clearer match than the same hits on them apart. Of course if you make the phrase too long, there's more chance of something not matching as well, so it does vary.