Author Topic: Can't change language to Australian  (Read 3486 times)

Jonesy

Can't change language to Australian
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Having problems with Voiceattack understanding the alot of words I say.
Have changed all speech and region settings to australia, downloaded the new speech for it.
But in voiceattack I can't change recognition from US. Doesnt display the AU speech.
What else is needed to change this?
Cheers

Jonesy

Re: Can't change language to Australian
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »
Thought I would try another language to see if it shows in voiceattack, added the UK one and it shows up in voiceattack but still no Australian one.
Does it not support australian language?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »
How did you add the language(s)?

Did you follow these steps? Have you installed a Speech Platform 11 language instead?

Jonesy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
Yep followed those steps. Also tried the platform 11 but some functions didn't work using it.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
I can replicate it in a VM; English-US and English-UK work fine, English-AU does not.

However, this is also true for other languages: German(Germany) and French(France) are shown in VoiceAttacks list, whereas Danish, Italian and Dutch are not.

The "Choose the language you speak with your device" dropdown excludes some of the same languages VoiceAttack does, yet it does show English(Australia) and Italian(Italy).

Looking at the optional features list, Danish and Dutch don't actually include a speech recognition engine, so them not showing is normal. However, Italian and English(AU) do have speech recognition installed.

Here, an important detail is that Italian is described only as "Cortana for Italian", where as German for example is described as "Cortana and speech recognition for German".

While English(AU) does include the "and speech recognition" in the description, looking at the file size I suspect that may be erroneous; German speech recognition has a filesize of 82.9MB, and all languages that VoiceAttack does recognize are larger than 70MB, yet English(AU) and Italian are only 7.6MB and 7.32MB, respectively.

So, it appears the issue may be on Microsoft's end, as there is no speech engine downloaded that VoiceAttack can use for your language.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:20:06 PM by Pfeil »