Author Topic: Plugin altered VAP-file?  (Read 4812 times)

arkemiffo

Plugin altered VAP-file?
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:46:59 AM »
Hello,

This is a simply curious question. I have not tried it yet, but it is a function I'm thinking about at the moment.

Basically, I have made/are making (not done with it yet) a plugin that will grab an article from wikipedia, divide it up in sections and then read certain sections back to me in a voice synthesis based on voice commands.
Due to the dynamic nature of my plugin, and the possibility I have of naming each section, I was wondering if it's possible to alter the VAP file from the plugin and have that reflected in the application?

For example, if I'm grabbing the article about Earth, the first paragraph of the introduction is read out to me. From here I have the option of saying "TOC" or "Table of Content", and it will read that out to me. This will always be the same as Wikipedia articles are structured that way.
However, to continue on, at the moment I have to say "Section 3" for it to read out that section (in this case "Physical characteristics").
I was hoping that when I have an article loaded I can go through the table of content from the article and add commands in the VAP-file that will let me say "Physical characteristics" instead of "Section 3".
I can set up a command in VA that uses dictation instead, but that's wobbly at best.

My guess here is that VAP files are only accessed once, when they're loaded into the profile. If the file is changed while the profile is already loaded, nothing will happen until I restart VA, but I'd thought I ask if it was possible anyway.

Kind regards
/Henrik

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Plugin altered VAP-file?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
VoiceAttack doesn't use .vap files to load stored profiles, the data is grouped together in a database file called "VoiceAttack.dat".

Adding commands on-the-fly is not possible in any case, as the phrase list is populated and sent to the speech recognition engine in its entirety when the profile is (re)loaded.

arkemiffo

Re: Plugin altered VAP-file?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 06:08:30 AM »
Yeah, had a feeling it would be more complicated than I thought, and not really possible the way I imagined it.
Thanks for the answer anyway.