Author Topic: Start menu not coming up when in windowed borderless games?  (Read 2926 times)

Cooldude93

Start menu not coming up when in windowed borderless games?
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »
I am having the strangest issue. Whenever VA is running and a windowed borderless app is in focus, pushing the Win key does not bring up the Start menu. Interestingly the "Hey Cortana" command does bring it up. This happens in 1.6.2 and back in 1.5.12. Closing VA brings back Win key control immediately. Is this a bug or limitation?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Start menu not coming up when in windowed borderless games?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
Does this happen with one specific app or a number of them? Are they games? Do you have any VoiceAttack commands that would prevent the Windows key from getting passed through?

I've not had this happen, to my knowledge, though I am running Windows 7.

Out of interest, does this also occur when you move "MSTaskBar.dll" out of VoiceAttack's folder?

Cooldude93

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
This happens on completely blank profiles. So far I've tested it on four games with good windowed borderless support (Black Ops 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, GTA V, and Fallout 4). It only happens in GTA V. Oh and moving MSTaskBar.dll does nothing. So it seems to be a GTA V problem.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
Ah, yes. GTA V appears to use a very odd method of hooking the keyboard, which actually causes system-wide issues on my machine; If I have it running, my keyboard input into other applications is slowed down immensely at times.

I also have to start VoiceAttack after GTA V, or VoiceAttack's keyboard hook won't work(and randomly stops working, probably after tabbing out of the game a few times).

This is a GTA V issue in my opinion, not much Gary can do about Rockstar's poor porting work.

Cooldude93

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
Oh well I can't complain too much. At least my commands work and alt-tab is fine.

Antaniserse

• Global Moderator
    • My VA plugins
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
Oh well I can't complain too much. At least my commands work and alt-tab is fine.

Have you tried issuing a CTRL+ESC combination instead? (it is an alternate keystroke to open the Start menu without using the special Win key)
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin