Author Topic: VoiceAttack and Programming  (Read 4362 times)

Tommy-Chi

VoiceAttack and Programming
« on: March 20, 2017, 03:57:52 AM »
I have hand and arm (forearm and elbow) related repetitive stress injuries from my current (systems installation tech) and past work (construction) as well as athletics(shoulder).

I have a BS in Management Information Systems and am trying to get in to programming and as you can imagine, I'd rather not spend 8 to 12 hours a day typing everything in to an editor if there is a means of avoiding it.

While looking for a solution I came across VoiceAttack and watched the following very promising YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydFe1GguQ_c

I also found a video by Tavis Rudd on using Python to code with Dragon Naturally Speaking and some additional resources https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

I download the GitHub files that Mr Rudd used for Dragon and I might follow many of the commands:
https://github.com/simianhacker/code-by-voice

I'd imagine that VoiceAttack could work for me but before I began I thought I would ask the admin and support what you think.

The integrated development environment that I would be using would be JetBrains PyCharm Community Edition 2016.3.2, Python 3.5, and an Alienware Area 51 system with 16GB of RAM and Intel Core i7-5820 CPU, and Win 10 Pro.

What do you think?  I'm excited at the possibilities, and I might even submit this effort to GitHub should it work.

Thanks!
Tommy

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VoiceAttack and Programming
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
It's certainly possible in theory. The Microsoft Speech Recognition engine, which VoiceAttack uses, can be accurate enough for preset commands when properly trained(ideally in a quiet room with a good microphone, as with any voice recognition software).

I watched part of the demo section of the presentation video and replicated some short command phrases("slap", "delt", "pycon", "space", "quote", "yank"), which are actually recognized reasonably well(most between 96 to 86 confidence). However, it should be noted that recognition is generally more accurate with longer phrases, and some words work better than others(E.G. "quote" was recognized as "called" multiple times; note that I made no effort to train individual words, which could improve recognition).

Feature-wise, VoiceAttack should be flexible enough to do what was done in the demo(though the impromptu dictation may require a command beforehand), however the use of EMACS is important to note as it offers keyboard shortcuts for just about all its features. You may find that other editors are more difficult/involved to interface with.

It's up to you whether you want to invest time and money into either option, though the latter at least is an order of magnitude smaller for VoiceAttack.

Tommy-Chi

Re: VoiceAttack and Programming
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
Thank you for the response!