Author Topic: Images  (Read 4952 times)

Alexander

Images
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
I think there should be a command which overlays images on the screen. It can be used to show manuals, maps, or notes while gaming. It could also be used if you're an artist and you need to constantly keep referencing pictures.

Antaniserse

• Global Moderator
    • My VA plugins
Re: Images
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
I think there should be a command which overlays images on the screen. It can be used to show manuals, maps, or notes while gaming. It could also be used if you're an artist and you need to constantly keep referencing pictures.
I made an experiment in a plugin a while ago, and it worked reasonably well for windowed and/or borderless fullscreen applications.
The biggest issue, which i think stands true even if it was added as a native VA feature, is applying the overlay with "true" fullscreen app: this I'm pretty sure requires hooking directly into Direct3D/OpenGL DLLs, which is not trivial to do, and, worse, always put you at risk of being flagged by Steam VAC/other anti-cheating modules as malicious code
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin

J. Calvert (Joshua)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »

I'm using this: https://imageoverlayutility.bitbucket.io/?

Frici

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
I made an experiment in a plugin a while ago, and it worked reasonably well for windowed and/or borderless fullscreen applications.
The biggest issue, which i think stands true even if it was added as a native VA feature, is applying the overlay with "true" fullscreen app: this I'm pretty sure requires hooking directly into Direct3D/OpenGL DLLs, which is not trivial to do, and, worse, always put you at risk of being flagged by Steam VAC/other anti-cheating modules as malicious code

Yeah even though it would be flagged if it worked like that, there is no issue when used with borderless/windowed apps (which most of us are using anyway to use similar plugins or extra overlays for utility/gaming/streaming).

So this would be very interesting to see either way :)