Author Topic: Voiceattack seemingly crashing my headphones audio [1.6.1]  (Read 3594 times)

Shyren

Voiceattack seemingly crashing my headphones audio [1.6.1]
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
So I started up VA today for use and I'm not sure if it's windows 10, my new headset, or just voice attack.
When I start it up it starts with "No audio device detected" followed by "Default audio recording device detected" followed a few seconds later by "No audio device detected" which repeats endlessly, and it seems to switch my headphones audio and recording on and off when it does this, so I'm not sure if the headphones software is crashing and restarting or voice attack is doing something to it.

But if I do give it commands, talk and all that, it'll Delay the switching off of my audio.
It also displays in the audio tab of settings: Error accessing playback device.
If you need system info or logs just ask, don't potter away to another post.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:54:06 AM by Shyren »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Voiceattack stuck in endless audio detection loop? [1.6.1]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »
Hi, there.

What is happening is VoiceAttack is being told by Windows: 'Hey...  there's no audio device'.  VoiceAttack puts a message in the log letting you know that Windows said that.  Then, instead of quitting, VoiceAttack will hang around waiting for Windows to signal again that a default audio device is available.  Then Windows follows up after by saying, 'Hey... guess what?  There's a default audio device!' and then VoiceAttack will announce this in the log and hook everything back up again.  In your case, this is happening over and over and over again.  Since you've indicated that it was working before and now doesn't work after you've changed hardware, you may want to look at your hardware and/or drivers to see why they are being reported to Windows as available/unavailable repeatedly.  I'd start with the drivers.

Shyren

Re: Voiceattack seemingly crashing my headphones audio [1.6.1]
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
Hi, there.

What is happening is VoiceAttack is being told by Windows: 'Hey...  there's no audio device'.  VoiceAttack puts a message in the log letting you know that Windows said that.  Then, instead of quitting, VoiceAttack will hang around waiting for Windows to signal again that a default audio device is available.  Then Windows follows up after by saying, 'Hey... guess what?  There's a default audio device!' and then VoiceAttack will announce this in the log and hook everything back up again.  In your case, this is happening over and over and over again.  Since you've indicated that it was working before and now doesn't work after you've changed hardware, you may want to look at your hardware and/or drivers to see why they are being reported to Windows as available/unavailable repeatedly.  I'd start with the drivers.

Yep, I've been looking into it and what seems to be happening is my headphones drivers are just crashing when voice attack is running, then they restart and proceed to crash again. The thing is it's never done this before for anything, so I don't know how voice attack is affecting it like that. I've updated the drivers, and updated voice attack, fiddled with settings. Still won't work together.
Could just be another unexplained quirk of the system, it tends to have a few of those. I'll just have to get new headphones I guess : /
if it happens with new headphones I'll reply here. Thanks Gary.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Voiceattack seemingly crashing my headphones audio [1.6.1]
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
If it continues to happen, there's something affecting the interaction between your speech engine and your device.  Now that I'm thinking about it, you may want to try what's in this thread just in case (ignore the title):

http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0