Author Topic: VA crashing when starting, stopping wmp or vlc  (Read 7602 times)

davidb63

VA crashing when starting, stopping wmp or vlc
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
Hello!

I'm trying to get music channels working with VA, using in Elite Dangerous VR, so can't see much in there :)

Issue is, when I switch from one stream to another or even to local playlist, I'm getting random crashes.

Pretty much just using 'Run an Application' with parameter of the URL or local playlist. It works, but eventually will crash VA   on a change of URL/playlist. I've tried multiple pauses and stopping the media player first, with no luck. The crashes seem random, haven't quite nailed down the cause. 

Has anyone had this kind if issue with media player?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA crashing when starting, stopping wmp or vlc
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »
Very strange issue you are having there.  What version of VoiceAttack are you using and are there any specific steps you are taking to make VA crash?  If I can reproduce the problem I can see if there is a solution.

davidb63

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks for the replay, using the latest.. 1.6    After some trial and error.. I was able to prevent the crashes by avoiding collisions between various  playsounds and text to speech's, switching between streaming or playlist in wmplayer and speech to text for galnet news articles.   After changing some of them to 'wait until complete' and 'completes all other..'     I believe I have it solved now.. so far at least.. played about three hours today switching between galnet news, speech to text, local playlist and streaming channel in wmplayer with no crashes :) 

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 10:00:37 PM »
Ok, cool.  Glad you sorted it out.

Also, if there is anything consistent you discovered that you would want to say something about, please feel free to share!

davidb63

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:51:56 AM »
I'm finding that I need to use  'wait until complete' and 'completes all other sounds'  for any TTS or SOUND commands when switching between then, to avoid crashes.   Still unsure if this is common or possibly an issue with TTS vs play sound possibly bit depth/ sample rate switching?    Is there any particular sample rate/bit depth that should be used for playing sounds via VA ?

Andydigital

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
I'm getting a lot of crashes when TTS voices are used too. For the most part my HCS profiles use WAV files and they are fine, but in a few cases it uses TTS voices and they seem to crash quite often and yes it seems to be two overlapping speeches for me too when it crashed.

The last beta version wasn't crashing like this for me, I think the build number ended in 31. I'm using Ivona British Amy. Win 10.

Andydigital

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »
One other point, I cant download the old beta versions, it always takes ages to start loading and when it does the files are only 38 bytes in size and wont open. Tried the zip and installer.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
Are both of you guys using Ivona?

Also, if there is a way to reproduce this with steps (and files if you have them, both sound and profiles), could you zip and send them to support@voiceattack.com so I can try it out?

Also, old beta versions are no longer available through the links provided.  The betas usually supersede the current release, so they are removed when the release is deployed.  I need to remove the links o_O  I can provide a rollback later when I get in. 

Andydigital

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »
I'm still getting crashes even without the overlap now. I'm beta testing a Multi Crew profile for Elite Dangerous using HCS voice packs. I've got a few other problems with the profile, so I'll try sort them out before looking into this in more detail. A copy of the old betas would be helpful for me though to see if it helps. No rush though thanks for answering.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
If you guys are willing, would you mind trying a build I put out in the, 'unofficial' bin?  I tried moving some stuff around to see if it may work for you:  http://www.voiceattack.com/unofficial

This is version v1.6.0.1.  Just replace the VoiceAttack.exe file with this one (back up your v1.6 if you want to).

Andydigital

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »
I've been using this test build for several hours now and not had any crashes at all so far, that is a big improvement over 1.6 for me. I'm going to switch to exactly the same activities I was doing yesterday and see if I can repeat the problems I was having.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
I had throttled some items to see if it would help the TTS memory leak that turns out might not have been that big of a deal after all.  I put it all back to the way it's been since 1940 o_O

Andydigital

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
Not a single crash in about 7 hours of testing today, so a thank you from me.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 11:06:09 PM »
Ok, cool.  Thank you for the feedback on this.  I was a little more aggressive on the throttling than I probably needed to be (well... obviously... lol).  I'll try to package up a full release by this weekend if things remain quiet.

Andydigital

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
Gary I'm having other problems now. Those new profiles I'm testing for HCS are reacting really slowly, it feels like they are being throttled too maybe. A simple joystick button press which then actions a key 7 times in Elite is taking 7 seconds to complete, where as with the last 1.5 beta a similar command took less than a second to action.

It's even effecting my mouse buttons. I have a button on the mouse which activates the Windows 10 switch task interface, normally it happens the very moment I press the button, but with this 1.6.0.1 build you sent me, its taking over a second to do anything. The moment I kill VA it works instantly again.

Any clue what it might be?

Sorry will take this discussion to the link below as the beta profile programmer has asked for help too.

http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=598.0
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:00:06 AM by Andydigital »