Author Topic: able to have both purchased version and beta installed at the same time?  (Read 4791 times)

Brumbold

Question. i have purchased voice attack but want to try the beta version. can i have both installed but ran one at a time?

i don't want to uninstall the current release version but do want to try the beta version.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: able to have both purchased version and beta installed at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
Just install each into their own directory.  They will each have their own settings, which means you will need to validate your registration (same machine, so there's no problem). 

The only drawback is that they will share the same .dat file, which under certain instances may cause data loss when information is saved.  For instance, if the beta has introduced new underlying values they are stored in the .dat.  If the previous (full) version is run and it saves to the .dat file, the new values don't exist so the data will be lost.  I do this ALL THE TIME (four or more different versions), but I'm aware of what to expect if I switch.  I can't recall adding anything new to the underlying structures, so for now you may be ok.  Later on, that may not be the case ;) 

Also, FYI - The beta that is out there now could possibly become v1.6.  It's in a bug-fix-only stage, with minimal new stuff being added.  If things keep stable, I'm hoping to get it out around the first of next month.