Author Topic: Can not get Voice Attack to work with Star Citizen  (Read 23637 times)

QuackPewDuck

Can not get Voice Attack to work with Star Citizen
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:42:26 AM »
I can not get this to work. I have already talked to someone. They were not able to help and directed me to this site. I think I might just try to get a refund. I think this is just broken.
I have posted the conversation below:

Me:
 I can not get this to work with Star Citizen. I down loaded the Orion pack and installed it. It responds to my voice commands. I opened notepad to make sure the right keys were being pressed. It is running as admin. I do not know how to change everything from Standard to DirectX. What now?

Response:
 The keybindings in the profile are already set to Direct X so you won't to change that. Is Voice Attack set to use the 'Active window'?

Me:
Yes it is set to Active Window.

Response:
Have you tried both the 1 Orion Basic Profile SC 2.3.1-Profile and the 2 Orion Basic Full-House Profile SC 2.3.1-Profile ? Also did you change any keybindings in the game?

Me:
I am trying the Orion Basic Full house. If I use the Orion Basic do I have to buy it again? Does it count against my downloads?  I did not change any of my keybindings in the game.

Response:
No you don't have to buy it again, you get all the profiles included and no it doesn't count against your download. All the profiles should be in HcsPack-Orion\Profiles\Star Citizen

Me:
I tried just the basic and it does the same thing.

Response:
Can you try making a new blank profile and adding a new command, call it anything you want and add a single keypress command set to use directx and see what happens in Star Citizen.

Me:
I am not sure that is something I can figure out. I will try but that kind of thing is usually beyond my skill set.

Response:
When you imported the profile in to Voice Attack on the drop down list it should have had a create new profile option. Select that and it'll pop up with an empty profile screen. Click new command at the top and you'll be in the command window.

In 'When I say' you type the command ie test

Click 'Keypress' on the left and then press a key that you know works in Star Citizen, then click ok. You've just added a command. Click ok and ok again and then done to leave the editor.

Say the command and it should respond with the key press, you can test it by having notepad open.

Me:
I was able to create the new profile and command that worked. The other profiles were working and the keys worked as well. It just does not work in game.

Response:
Did the new profile work in the game? If it doesn't then it would suggest it's a problem between Voice Attack and Star Citizen rather than our profile. Does Star Citizen have a option to reset keys to default, might be worth trying.

Me:
It said that the settings were at default, but I tried resting it anyway. It did not help. What now?

Response:

If the profile you created didn't work either then it's a very odd problem with Voice Attack and Star Citizen. I can only suggest you ask for assistance here http://voiceattack.com/SMF/

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Can not get Voice Attack to work with Star Citizen
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »

Are you sure you are running VoiceAttack as an administrator?  This is the most common issue with keys not being conveyed in-game.

Something you may want to try is what they suggested:
Can you try making a new blank profile and adding a new command, call it anything you want and add a single keypress command set to use directx and see what happens in Star Citizen.

To be open and fair, I will say that if you are unable to do this you are not going to like your experience even if you get this going, as this is probably the most basic thing you can do with VoiceAttack.

Any other Star Citizen users want to chime in?

QuackPewDuck

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
It appears to be working now. I am not sure what the issue was, or what fixed it. I had tried everything that was suggested to me. Nothing seamed to fix it and now it just started working. Weird!!!

Storky

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »
Im also having alot of problems.

i got the speech reconigtion engine installed. and finaly could start op voice attack.
and all seems to work.

but nothign happens in voice attack. in Windows. or star citizen. or eny where.

i have tryed with ANNA.

how to test if voice attack even hear me ?

and i was thinking on getting ASTRA,  but not if VA cant hear me... hehe
so how to get it to work ?

and i was thinking does it make a difference what keyboard you use ?
i meen i use a danish keyboard. will commands then not work ?

and is there a push to talk botten.  im not awere of ?

QuackPewDuck

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
Ok I was wrong. It worked once and now it stopped working again. I am getting frustrated. I want to use it in a youtube video. I might have to post about it not working most of the time.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:46:51 PM »
Are you running any applications that interfere with focus like TeamViewer or Synergy? 

QuackPewDuck

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
No, I am not running any sharing software.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:15:00 AM »
Please make sure you are running as an administrator:

1. Right-click the VoiceAttack.exe icon (usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack), and then click Properties.
2. In the Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.
3. Select the Run This Program As An Administrator check box, and then click OK.

It's the only thing I can think of, as you indicated it worked once and then it didn't work.  This is an atypical scenario for VoiceAttack.  If there is some type of initialization that is taking place in the profile that is inconsistent, you will need to contact the pack creator about that.

QuackPewDuck

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »
Ok, If it works it sounds like that is what I need to every time before I run it. I am using Windows 10. Could that have anything to do with it?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »
Not sure why your settings are getting reset.

VoiceAttack is developed and primarily tested (and used by me) on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Darknoodles

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 06:48:04 AM »
Hi Gary,

I'm having the same issue. Star Citizen will just ignore any commands.
I made sure to:
  • run VA as Admin
  • setting the key hold time longer
  • switching to DirectX
  • switching to Standard
  • Sending to active window / StarCitizen.exe
  • Tried to see if the key press appears in the game chat, but it doesn't
  • Turned off Shadow Play (making sure it doesn't take the keystroke instead of SC)
  • Running SC as admin

And last, commands are well recognized by VA and do execute on other windows.
I had not the possibility to try with SC 2.3, so maybe 2.4 broke something.
I've of course took a look at the forums and google, even read a thread on the google group, but it seems like some people are just hated by computers :p
And until now i found nothing more than "Run VA as admin".
As a last note, just in case, i'll add that i didn't install VA in the default path (as i like keeping things out of my OS partition), so maybe it could influe on inter-app communication ? (i don't think so but why not)

Edit: oh, and does any of other people experiencing this issue have Windows set to another language than English ? (just in case)

Darknoodles

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 07:59:19 AM »
I've done more testing and i found the issue i think.

Star Citizen must NOT be executed as Admin.
I tried launching StarCitizen.exe (not the launcher, the game exe) as not admin, and VA worked fine (well, SC worked fine i'd say).
However, even if i set the launcher to execute as not admin, it seems to execute StarCitizen.exe as Admin.
So currently the only way i found to make everything work is to launch the game without the launcher.

fiddy56

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »
I had the same issue when 2.4 came out. I made tons of videos and sent them to Toad. I ended up reformatting my c drive and reinstalling windows 10. NOT THAT ANYONE ELSE SHOULD DO THIS.
I also found that when i launched voice attack then Star Citizen it was only recognizing the Star Citizen launcher so it only had the commands going to the launcher. check your command line where its getting sent to. It should just be Star Citizen "thats it" not the launcher.
If you dont see it after you pull up the launcher then get into the game menu then alt tab out and then refresh your command line and you will see the Star Citizen and pick it. then get back into game. should work or should i say it is working for me now.
I got 3 for 2 this last weekend thanks HCS.
SEE YA IN THE VERSE

fiddy56

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
Shadow play works fine as long as you set keys that dont conflict with the game/voice attack
I have created new commands that i use now just called "record on"
alt/f9  "record off" alt/f9
"take photo" alt/f2
those keys are not used in S.C. 2.4
As well as "leave ship" alt/f hold 3 seconds
"back on ship" f with a few choice voice responses
good luck
see ya in the verse

s1rmunchalot

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
I think it might be worth noting that Roccat Power Grid has the same problem with Windows 10. It is another keyboard emulator. The 'keypresses' are not being passed to the active window. The only advice they offer is exactly the same. Run as Admin. It doesn't work. The problem seems to be a windows 10 thing.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »
The problem seems to be a windows 10 thing.

To avoid confusion, VoiceAttack (properly configured) will work with Star Citizen under Windows 10 just like it will work with Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.

Windows will (thankfully) block cross-application input through the api if the applications are in different security contexts.  This is so a rogue application doesn't run rampant on your system unless you allow it.  If you run VoiceAttack in a security context that is higher than or equal to the target application, the keys will be sent.  If the target application does not allow  input through the api, there is nothing that can be done and you will need to use a hardware interface.

If you are having targeting, key press or mouse issues, try running the VA beta, as it seems to be a little tighter in these areas.