Author Topic: Help with Star Citizen 3.9  (Read 2913 times)

Spankstinator

Help with Star Citizen 3.9
« on: June 24, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
Checking out the forums for why keypresses are not registered and I find the info quoted below repeated.  I think it may be obsolete.  To clarify,
1) I am running VM 1.8.5 as administrator in Win 10.  By that, I mean I set the properties of the .exe file to "Run as Administrator"  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe
2) I ran VM with the KIRA profile active and had NOTEPAD.exe as active window.  Keypresses registered in notepad.
3) other VM profiles that i created work with 3 other games, no problem.

Here are my questions.  there are 2 steps listed below I have not tried.

suggestion 1
  • switching to DirectX
  • switching to Standard

Is this advice obsolete?  I do not see any toggle for DirectX or Standard any where in the interface.  Where exactly is this setting?

suggestion2
li]Sending to active window / StarCitizen.exe[/li][/list]

I see how to do this as an option for each different keypress.  Is there a way to globally set this to "StarCitizen.exe" or do i have to modify commands one-by-one?

also, is it effective to literally type starcitizen.exe into the box or do i need to put in the full path of the exe?

THanks for your help, the original (and very old) post I am referring to is below.
-The Spankstinator

Hi Gary,

I'm having the same issue. Star Citizen will just ignore any commands.
I made sure to:
  • run VA as Admin
  • setting the key hold time longer
  • switching to DirectX
  • switching to Standard
  • Sending to active window / StarCitizen.exe
  • Tried to see if the key press appears in the game chat, but it doesn't
  • Turned off Shadow Play (making sure it doesn't take the keystroke instead of SC)
  • Running SC as admin

And last, commands are well recognized by VA and do execute on other windows.
I had not the possibility to try with SC 2.3, so maybe 2.4 broke something.
I've of course took a look at the forums and google, even read a thread on the google group, but it seems like some people are just hated by computers :p
And until now i found nothing more than "Run VA as admin".
As a last note, just in case, i'll add that i didn't install VA in the default path (as i like keeping things out of my OS partition), so maybe it could influe on inter-app communication ? (i don't think so but why not)

Edit: oh, and does any of other people experiencing this issue have Windows set to another language than English ? (just in case)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Help with Star Citizen 3.9
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »
That information is indeed outdated, the toggle between DirectX and standard modes hasn't existed for several versions/years.

You can use the "Send commands to this target:" setting in the profile options for your active profile to have all commands that don't have the "Send command to this target:" option checked use the chosen target.

As targeting is done either by the window title, process name, or window class, a path to a file would be an invalid target.

If you're targeting the process name, the ".exe" suffix is unnecessary (in fact it is removed internally before searching for the target), however using the proper prefix is recommended (as otherwise any window with "starcitizen" as its title may be used as the target, and extra processing time is used to first check window titles).

For more information on command targeting and prefixes, consult the "'Send command to this target'" subsection of the "5 – Command Execution Options" subsection of the "Command Screen" section, and the "Application Focus (Process Target) Guide" section of VoiceAttackHelp.pdf (which can be opened in your default PDF viewer by pressing F1 while VoiceAttack has focus).

That said, as far as I'm personally aware, there is no functional difference between sending keys to a specific target as opposed to the active window, in that the former will merely attempt to make the target the active window before sending input.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:11:48 PM by Pfeil »

Spankstinator

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the concise and thorough reply.  I appreciate all your help, Pfeil.

Spankstinator

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »
One more ignorant question.  The screenshot is from Task Manager is the "Process Name" to reference StarCitizen.exe or is it "Star Citizen" (or possibly either will work)?  Screenshot is attached.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »
"StarCitizen" should work, though neither of those items are necessarily the process name (E.G. if you check the "Task Manager" entry, you'll notice the child item is also "Task Manager", even though the process name is "Taskmgr").

Check the "Details" tab of task manager for running processes instead (You can right-click a (child) item in the "Processes" tab and choose "Go to details" to jump to that entry; As mentioned, you can omit the ".exe" suffix).

Spankstinator

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 06:41:03 AM »
Got it!  Thanks again for all the help!  I'll keep troubleshooting.

CrookSolo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2024, 02:02:39 PM »
cant get voice attack to work. bought the alix voice package.. tried to set up a profile and no dice.. where can i download a working one? anything will help please.. i want to talk to my ship so bad. lol . i just think its so cool

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2024, 03:20:49 AM »
If your third-party HCS Voice Packs profile isn't working, and you're certain you've followed the instructions that came with it correctly and in their entirety, you'll want to contact them via their forum, or their Discord