Author Topic: VA not hearing microphone  (Read 270 times)

Vlodec

VA not hearing microphone
« on: July 04, 2024, 05:38:44 AM »
Yesterday VA worked fine. Today I booted up - and btw I use "hibernate" so yesterday's session gets loaded in - and VA just doesn't hear me. Windows hears me ok, I can use voice recorder for instance, but not VA. In fact it doesn't hear my other, webcam, microphone either.

I've tried unplugging the microphone and plugging it back in.
I've tried to tell it explicitly what microphone to listen to through "Options", "Change Now".
I've tried re-booting, naturally.
I've checked drivers through Device Manager.
I don't, so far as I'm aware, have any other sound recognition/manipulation software running.

This is driving me crazy.

Ideas would be welcomed.

P.S. I forgot to mention: when I use "Change Now" to specify which microphone it should use, I get a conformation message to the effect that the audio recording device has been changed to that microphone - so VA seems to be aware that the mike exists. It just refuses to actually hear it.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA not hearing microphone
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 05:51:06 AM »
Is the "Windows Speech Recording Device" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window set to either the "Default -"-prefixed entry, or the recording device you're trying to use?

Note that this option is a shortcut to a Windows option managed by the Microsoft speech recognition system. VoiceAttack does not change it except when you the user do so explicitly using the dropdown.

Vlodec

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 06:31:07 AM »
Problem solved. I found the solution in an earlier post by another poster. Your colleague "Gary" pointed him at the Speech Recognition tab under Control Panel, Audio Input Settings. For some reason this was changed to a Line In device which I never use and certainly didn't alter myself. Anyhow, now that I changed it back everything seems to work ok and I'm (relatively) happy again.

It's a mystery why that setting changed though.

Thank you for your help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2024, 06:34:17 AM »
the Speech Recognition tab under Control Panel, Audio Input Settings
That option is what the "Windows Speech Recording Device" dropdown on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window is a shortcut for.

As mentioned, that is managed by the Microsoft speech recognition system. One reason it can change is if it was configured to use a specific device, and that device becomes unavailable.