Author Topic: Is there any benefit to the Steam version?  (Read 678 times)

Cliff3D

Is there any benefit to the Steam version?
« on: May 21, 2024, 09:36:25 AM »
As I'm considering this software I thought I'd ask if there are any benefits to the Steam version? Any at all?

I'm leaning towards "standalone" on the basis that it won't need Steam in order to run, and more of my (eventual) money would go to the author- but wondered if there are any other differences?

While we're at it, using the Steam version I imagine I would be able to install on any/all of my (mostly too old to run Win 11) PCs as long as I only *USE* it on 1 PC at a time.

Am I correct for the Steam version, and is licensing any different between Steam and Standalone versions?

Cheers,

Cliff

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Is there any benefit to the Steam version?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 09:41:51 AM »
The Steam version is automatically updated by Steam, where the website version will offer a link to an installer you can download and run.

Other than that, the only real difference for VoiceAttack itself is the license and license verification system.

The Steam version requires Steam to be installed, but once activated (which is normally done automatically the first time the application is started), doesn't require Steam to be running, if VoiceAttack's executable is started directly.
Instructions for creating a desktop shortcut to the executable can be found here.