Author Topic: Commands not completing sequence - Helldivers 2  (Read 3453 times)

shadoe42

Commands not completing sequence - Helldivers 2
« on: February 14, 2024, 03:19:28 PM »
trying to set up VA to execute stratagem commands in Helldivers 2.  I will get them working in one mission but when I load into the next they will stop working. I have played around with the delays ad nauseum.  Anything else I can do? So far every attempt I have had to adjust the delays to make the commands work but then they fail to complete in the next drop in.

shadoe42

Re: Commands not completing sequence - Helldivers 2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 03:53:53 PM »
It's seeming to not like the sequences that are more than 5 key presses. Ctrl plus 4 others.

Once you pass that it seems to stop working and then none of the commands work until I reset the mission.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 04:41:31 PM »
Chances are you have a key stuck down.

What does your action sequence look like? Can you share a screenshot of your command window with all of the actions?

shadoe42

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 05:32:41 PM »
See attached screen shots but at different points none of them have worked

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 07:31:39 PM »
In the past if something similar to this has come up, it has almost always been that a key was left down at some point, which then caused the keyboard to misbehave.  Looks like everything should be released properly, going by your images. Not sure what might be causing that kind of issue within your game - very strange that it works over and over properly in a single mission and then no longer works.  Do you have any other commands that may be being executed between missions that are not releasing keys?  Have you tried just closing VA and relaunching it to see if the problem goes away (closing VA will cause any keys that VA has pressed down to be released)?  Does your physical keyboard continue to work properly with the Stratagem menu in the second mission?  Something to try is adding a command to release all keys and execute it if things get stuck (Other > Windows > Windows  Misc Functions > Release all keyboard keys).  Just kind of shooting from the hip here, hoping something will work for you.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 07:37:40 PM »
Something else I've noticed from this site: https://www.sportskeeda.com/gaming-tech/helldivers-2-best-control-settings-keyboard-ps5-controller

The Stratagem menu is supposed to work while HOLDING the control key.  Your images do not show the control key being held, but rather being pressed and released before the other keys are pressed.  You may want to try changing your first action to just a Press Down of the control key, and add a Release of the control key as the last action:

Press Control key down
Pause 0.01
Press and release other keys
Release Control key

shadoe42

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 08:38:41 AM »
You can change the way the stratagem menu comes up. Hold, Press, Long Press, Tap. I have mine currently set to press. But I will try that.

tried it. Still the same problem. And this was from a freshly opened voice attack

Physical Keyboard or game controller always continues to work.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 08:49:29 AM »
Just to be clear, this menu traversal that you are doing works perfectly fine (using VoiceAttack) in the first mission, but does not work at all in subsequent missions?  How many times is this functionality used in the first mission?

Did you try any of the other suggestions?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 10:14:39 AM »
Moderator Pfeil has also indicated to me that there are no pauses between key presses in the images provided.  I would try reducing the .3 delay values to .1 and then adding pauses between each key. 

For example:

Press a key, delay for .1 and release
Pause .1
Press another key, delay for .1 and release
Pause .1
Press another key, delay for .1 and release

and so on

Worth a try, as it is possible that polling could vary between missions.

shadoe42

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 11:40:46 AM »
Sometimes it will work multiple times. Then stop working. others it does not work from the very first attempt.

I will try putting in the pauses

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 12:38:15 PM »
I'd bet dollars to donuts this is a timing issue.  Once you add pauses between your keypresses, I'm pretty confident everything will work out.  I've been there before, it's an important part of macro construction (not just in VoiceAttack).  Personally, I use 50ms (0.05 sec) for time to press keys & time between keypresses and have no issues, but starting with 100ms is a good place to begin (0.1 sec) until you know it works, then you can try optimizing for speed later.

Best wishes and let us know how it worked out!

shadoe42

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 02:23:20 PM »
Putting in the suggest paused caused no real change. First one worked fine. Second one failed and then all subsequent ones failed. I will play around with the pauses. 

In fact it failed so badly that once it failed I was moving in a random direction like a key was stuck down and had to exit the game to get it to stop

And once again it failed on the ones that are longer than 5 total presses.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 02:46:41 PM »
Could you do me a favor?  Try creating a new profile and only have that single command in that profile - see if the command works on its own.  I want to rule out other commands getting executed that may be interfering.

Sorry for all of the guessing - I'm very positive VA is sending the key presses properly - it's just finding out what Helldiver will accept to work right.  Since none of us have this game, we're kind of in the dark and can only relay stuff we've previously encountered.  Hoping to find some kind of resolution for you - maybe another user may come along with some insights.

shadoe42

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2024, 10:34:05 AM »
Friend of mine has this same profile file and for him it works fine 95% of the time. It has failed a few times but not nearly the amount it has failed on mine. I will create a new profile with a longer command in it and see what happens.

shadoe42

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 10:43:24 AM »
Command failed right out of the gate. Never entered the last "F" keypress or the game failed to recognize it. see attached screen shots. You can see the command and you can see it is the only command in the profile.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 01:34:25 PM »
Try replacing Left Control with Shift, and then open a regular notepad (with CAPSLOCK OFF!) and issue the voice command ... report back if it typed out the complete sequence of keys (in uppercase).

I just tried this and am unable to reproduce any loss of the last letter.  Like Gary, I suspect something going on here.

Do you have any other hotkey programs which could be interrupting this which may use the Left Control key plus any of these keys? Such as "CTRL+F" or something?  Steam Overlay, perhaps?  Or a recording software like OBS?  I could see that if so, the final key being captured and not passed through to your game, but am at a loss for any other speculation or ideas.

Notepad is a great place to test macros, even if you have to modify a modifier key.  That said, keys will go through to Notepad easier than some games, and so results should be taken with a grain of salt and used along with other testing to reveal the root issue(s).

shadoe42

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 03:15:13 PM »
it has ALWAYS put in the sequence inside of wordpad. That has been part of the problem. works fine everywhere except in the game

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 08:39:00 PM »
I think SemlerPDX has asked a very good question about having other software/hardware/apps that may be interfering somehow.   You might want to take a breeze through Task Manager and see what other processes you may have running that could possibly have something to do with intercepting keys.

abeardedpirate

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 02:10:20 PM »
I'm brand new to VA and I am having the same issues. The program run as admin and normally recognizes my commands but only ever inputs the 1st keystroke when it does input a keystroke and no other keystrokes. I've tried active window and specifically targeting Helldivers 2 exe to no avail. I've seen other people saying they've gotten it working like a charm but none of them have replied back about their setups.

I would just like to get this to work. I put in all the stratagem commands giving .2 pause between each key input to be on the safe side. I have hit record and tabbed back to the game and have had the game recognize keystrokes as fast as .13 but my average keystroke .19. Nothing seems to work. I really only want VA to listen to commands while I'm holding the Stratagem call-in button down and I originally set it up as such using global key to listen only while that key is held but it wasn't working so I removed it and just set it to always listen and neither way works but both ways show recognized when I use the command words and I even set a TTS to let me know it recognized the command in plays repeatedly. I opened Notepad and it detects the inputs just fine as well so I honestly have no idea what is going on.

Maybe it's a Helldivers 2 thing but then other people, without any kind of evidence, on Steam forums etc have said they've gotten it working without a hitch. I'm hoping someone has a solution to this but I wasn't sure if opening a topic that is basically the same as this one would be frowned upon or not so I'm just dropping a reply here in hopes some sort of solution is brought to fruition.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 07:24:16 PM »
I'm not sure on how to guide anyone on this topic, as it appears that VoiceAttack is responding as it should and is doing whatever it is told to do.  What Helldivers requires to operate either has a specific set of commands that need to run to get it to work, or there is an environmental  issue (security, other software, system specs, etc.).  I do not own this game, unfortunately, so I am not able to dig in and see what could be going on.  Do you know if keyboard commands other than the strategem stuff work with this game?  Is it possible there are other apps that could be interfering? 

Hoping some kind soul will swing by here and drop off a good set of commands so you guys can get back to business.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 07:25:23 PM »
Have you tried maybe using the 'Quick Input' feature to input the keys?

Just something to try that's a little bit different.

Also - maybe the devs have it worked out if the keystrokes are too similarly timed, they are blocked?  Could try varying the time between keys.  Again - just something to try (shooting from the hip).

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 07:41:27 PM »
I did some cursory searching and found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/19dp2qw/helldivers_2_nprotect_gameguard_anticheat/

It talks about Helldivers 2 incorporating GameGuard anti-cheat software https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NProtect_GameGuard

This may be what is holding you guys up.  Not sure how others may be getting around this, but maybe the key press timing thing is not a horrible thing to try ? 

Edit - I read your post again and it looks like you've tried the recorder feature.   Did you equalize the input timing to be the same or was it varied?  If you had equalized the timing, try turning that off.

abeardedpirate

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 11:51:56 AM »
I wanted to come back after putting more testing in, which is incredibly hard as getting into the server is near impossible right now.

I hadn't reset my computer, Voice Attack was left on over night without changing anything. It was probably 10 hours from the last time I had had Helldivers 2 open (unsuccessfully getting into the server after 3.5hrs waiting). I booted up this time and everything was working as intended until partway into the second mission.

Any stratagem requiring a double/triple direction press either WW, AA, SS, DD or <<, ^^, >>, vv if assigned to arrow keys would not register past the first press. I tried adding pauses between button presses and extending / rotating pauses and even included recording my inputs and the double/triple direction continued being an issue.

I figured out how to circumvent this by setting up a 2nd, or 3rd, command that VA would call to continue the Stratagem which seems to work for multiple missions, I'm currently testing on my 4th mission and it is still working.

I feel Game Guard is causing this to happen by reading something on the PC. I'll need to do more testing but it's hard to want to close out of the game, reboot, etc when the uncertainty of being able to get back into the game is so high.

*Edit*
I wanted to add some attachments. The first 3 show my way of circumventing the issue. Spear 1 does its inputs and then calls Spear 2, Spear 2 does its inputs and then calls Spear 3, which successfully finishes the Stratagem sequence.
The 4th picture is the longest Stratagem call and it works flawlessly without needing successive VA commands due to not having repeat inputs next to one another.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 06:11:22 PM by abeardedpirate »

nevermore26

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 12:15:33 PM »
Any luck or progress? Am curious on how it has been working out for you

abeardedpirate

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 12:24:48 PM »
I don't know what my initial issue was caused by but I haven't had an issue since outside of the double/triple inputs and my method to circumvent those issues has been working flawlessly.

nevermore26

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 12:27:12 PM »
Any chance you would be able to share your profile for it? Would love to see what you did with yours

abeardedpirate

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2024, 03:05:35 PM »
This is mine. Its extremely basic. Idk if the global hotkey for listening carried over or not but if it did you might go change that as mine is currently set to C as that is what I have bound for calling in Stratagems and the only time I want VA listening to my comms.

Everything is working and I believe I have every Stratagem including Mission specific Stratagems, though I could be missing a few.

I should probably also mentioned I set my Stratagem commands to Arrow Keys so I could continue to move while calling down Stratagems. Slightly annoying when using Consoles for inputs but I'd rather deal with that than not being able to move.

nevermore26

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2024, 06:27:43 AM »
seriously I can not thank you enough, this is very amazing and helpful! I appreciate you greatly

shadoe42

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 10:47:47 AM »
Wow get really stupid busy for a few days combined with not being able to play and this thread blows up :)  Awesome. i will try some of these.

I also went ahead and purchased a new keyboard on the chance that something in this current one is "slightly" stuck. it was time anyway. that arrived today.