Author Topic: Audio output switching - Lack of options  (Read 4509 times)

s1rmunchalot

Audio output switching - Lack of options
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
Hi,
although I've had VA for many a moon, to be honest despite being really pleased initially, I rarely use it. The only reason I rarely use it is because of the requirement to change my default audio output globally. Imagine how pleased I was to see the problem looks like it has been addressed and appeared to be in the latest Beta. I had attempted to use the command line switch in the past but it never seemed to work.

So what do I find? Despite it now being included as an option, it is still required to set globally. If I had wanted to do that, I just use the control panel. What exactly have the new options changed? Which applet gets my precious three clicks to achieve the same result? I have read about as much information on the site as is reasonable and more. I only note that output codecs are tied to WMP. I can set my output in WMP, without needing to set it globally. Yay Microsoft eh. Who knew they'd be so accommodating? I never use WMP, I much prefer Windows Media Player Home and would uninstall WMP11 in a heartbeat were it not for VA's dependence on it, but what the hey. I can set Windows TTS output to my headphones, but VA ignores this setting. I wonder how you even manage to do that, override the Windows TTS settings??

Here's the problem. If I leave my default audio, VA picks it up from speakers to Mic and I end up with a string of replies from Hazel EN:GB responding to herself. If I change it to headphones, no-one else can hear the audio. Since I can't find a way for such things as Star Citizen or Flash player in Chrome to change from default output, I'm either Billy no-mates. Or muggins no VA.

I got the command line to work with the Beta, only to find it again simply sets the default output globally. I'm not new to these sorts of things, I have MorphVox Pro. They seem to realise setting output independently is a smart thing to do when using a program that has both input and output. I use Mumble, Discord, Dolby Axon and TeamSpeak on a regular basis and have no trouble with them. I consider myself pretty adept at OBS too. I go into WMPH several times a day and switch audio outputs around. I know how to switch the TTS outputs. On the scale of the average Windows user I wouldn't consider myself a complete noob.

I wanted to support the independent developer and realise you may not have the resources of a big team. I was really pleased to see both VoiceAttack and HCS being supported by CIG, I think it really improves the experience when independents work together and I'm pleased to be a supporter of all 3 of you.

Questions:
1. Why not be able to set output without setting it globally? Just about every other standalone audio program out there can do it.
2. Why can't you let VA use the TTS output settings?
3. If Windows global settings have to adopted. Why not set VA to output to 'default communication device'? We can then use control panel to set that.
4. Why is this issue taking so long to be addressed in the simple and obvious manner that it really should be? You seem realise it is an issue, otherwise why include a pseudo option in the new Beta? Perhaps you could shout a message over to ScreamingBee and ask them how they did it?

I've been patient. I've trouble shot my own issues with keys not being picked up etc. I've waited well over a year to see if the sound problem is even addressed. I've scanned the help and forums. Despite the multiple options apparent we stubbornly get, global or nought. Given that I'm aware of all the options above perhaps you can understand my frustration?

Deal with the basics, or people just won't bother with it. Very few people are happy to have limited options forced upon them. Youtubers and Twitch streamers might want VA output to everyone for the lolz.. I don't.

It's time to offer better options. If those options are there and I'm mistaken, then perhaps you could make the information more readily available.

(You have one of the most extensive set of options I've ever seen for forum posting...  very nice.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:05:20 PM by s1rmunchalot »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Audio output switching - Lack of options
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:08:12 AM »
You have to understand that it's merely a convenience feature.  I run sound through my speakers and use my webcam frequently.  I would like to be able to switch to my headset without having to do the device shuffle every single time.  Yeah... three clicks in the control panel is not much, but I *do* use the software so it adds up.  Next, you're going to need to understand that VA's domain is *not* being a media player or a communication device.   If its domain was to be a media player or a communication device, it probably wouldn't be using built-in components.

1. Why not be able to set output without setting it globally? Just about every other standalone audio program out there can do it.
VA uses the WMP components.  The components that are available do not allow anything BUT the default output device.  It's not using Windows Media Player (where you can control the output).  I use WMP components because they're generally installed everywhere.  It's on the books to try some other options, but that's down the road.

2. Why can't you let VA use the TTS output settings?
The components available do not allow anything other than the default output device.

3. If Windows global settings have to adopted. Why not set VA to output to 'default communication device'? We can then use control panel to set that.
See #1

4. Why is this issue taking so long to be addressed in the simple and obvious manner that it really should be? You seem realise it is an issue, otherwise why include a pseudo option in the new Beta? Perhaps you could shout a message over to ScreamingBee and ask them how they did it?
None of the products you had listed use WMP components.  If they did, they would be in the same situation.

The default audio features are not VoiceAttack-specific, even though you can optionally have VA make the changes automatically on startup.  Having the audio selection activated from the command line or from command actions makes it so you can control your setup for other applications that use default devices (force or otherwise).  For instance, Spotify uses the default playback device (by default) and you can move the audio from speakers to headphones and back quickly and not have to fumble with Windows' controls.  For applications that allow you to route your audio to any device, you can do so through their interfaces (I suppose I should write them long messages asking them why they don't expose those controls through an easier interface and explain how frustrating it is that they don't offer it through the command line).

I'm a little behind on the features I would like to include, as I have been out of commission for quite a while and am still recovering (like 2 years behind, which is about the amount of time you've had the software).  Again, I have it on the books to look at other audio options, but it hasn't and is still not a high priority.  For the time being, you may want to look into something like Virtual Audio Cable to route your sound.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:48:44 AM by Gary »