Author Topic: After the last update, VA keeps switching mics?  (Read 1724 times)

Snacko

After the last update, VA keeps switching mics?
« on: June 03, 2023, 10:24:56 AM »
This started about the time that I updated VA a few days ago.   When I open VA, after a few minutes it starts switching from my usb mide, to my Voicemeeter Potato Output, and to my Reverb G2 mic.   Each time I hear the Windows 'Device Disconnect' and then the 'Connect' sounds.  It keeps witching about every2-5 minutes.

When I close VA it stops doing this.   

Is this a VA bug?  Or a setting that I need to change???

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: After the last update, VA keeps switching mics?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 10:31:28 AM »
That is certainly strange.

Are you running any plugins?

If you revert to the previous version, does the issue still occur?

v1.10.3 can be downloaded here; note that any changes you may have made to your profiles in the new version using features that didn't exist in the old version may be affected if you save those profiles in the old version, so just in case I'd recommend backing up your profile database, VoiceAttack.dat

The folder containing that file can be opened using the "Click here to browse VoiceAttack's data folder." link on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window

Snacko

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 01:54:33 PM »
Yes, sorry.. I forgot to mention that I was using VAICOM Pro.  Or that VA locked up when it switched mics.  Had to end task on it..

I just installed v1.10.364 and it did it again..   The last two days or so, it has done it now and then.. not really consistent.  One time it switched 3-4 times..  One of them was Voicemeeter Potato Output!?  Here you can see that (I assume) it switched from whatever it was using, to Reverb G2 Mic, and then to Headset Mic.   

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 02:19:41 PM »
Try creating and training a new speech recognition profile; instructions for that can be found in this topic

Snacko

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 02:20:06 PM »
Ok, thanks...  I'll try that..    Here's what I have 20 minutes later.  And now I have twice as many as that..

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 04:15:23 PM »
@Snacko -

What do you have listed as your 'Windows Speech Recording Device' on the Recognition tab of the Options screen?

Can you provide a screenshot of that tab?

Snacko

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 09:21:42 AM »
@Gary

It's set to: 'Default - Headset Mic (USB Audio Device)'

Haven't done the Speech retraining yet, as I think it's something else..  But I may get there eventually..

Last night about 8pm I thought it might have something to do with me putting the earphones back on my G2 about 3-4 days ago to see if that would fix another problem**.    So, I opened my WMR portal for the first time in 3-4 days, and then closed it.  I also Cleared the VA log window, and went to watch a movie two hours.  As I went to bed I checked this and there were No more switching mic messages.  None.  So I Shutdown and went to bed.

Today I booted up and started VA, and it did it again once.   So I decided to close VA, and made sure it was closed from the SysTray.   A minute later it happened again.. 

So, now I'm wondering if it's not VA?  And have something to do with my interaction with windows(since it stopped doing it last night when I left the pc for the movie.)  Maybe some background WMR thing???   Or Cortana??  That got turned back on also a few days ago, and I cannot stop it from loading when I boot.  It's turned off in the Startup list.

** Problem: WMR not seeing my headset, and having to unplug/plug it back in all the time.  I always used my speakers for VR audio all the time, so I also changed the Windows Settings/Headset/Audio and speech/ settings

'When Mixed Reality Portal is running, switch to headset audio'  : Normally I have this Off, but I turned it On to test the earphones.  The next day I turned this back off and it has been Off since.

'When Mixed Reality Portal is running, switch to headset mic'  : This has and is always turned on.

EDIT:
PS, I also watch the 'Sound window's' Recording Tab to see the mic's switching.  Every thime this happens one of the devices gets disabled and 5 seconds re-enabled.    And I also just noticed that the mic input to VM Potato turns red(un-recognized) for the ones that were disabled/re-enabled.  If I just select it again, it turn white(Ok).

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 11:15:22 AM »
Unless you've got some kind of command running that explicitly changes devices (Other > Windows > Change Default Audio Devices action), VoiceAttack does not change audio devices.

What VoiceAttack IS doing is monitoring Windows' messages and just letting you know that devices are changing.  I don't know what's going on with your setup that is causing the devices to change like that (highly atypical) - I would try removing devices from my setup and adding them back one by one to see if that indicates anything.

Now, to try to get the speech engine (within VA) to ignore the device changes, I would try going into the Options screen > Recognition tab and changing what you have from 'Default - Headset Mic (USB Audio Device)' over to the device you would prefer to use (that is, do not choose, 'Default - Headset Mic (USB Audio Device)', but rather choose 'Headset Mic (USB Audio Device)' from the list).  This might solve things from a VA standpoint, but will not fix your device changing issue(s).  Again - you'll want to try removing and re-adding your devices.  Maybe update their drivers as well while you're at it.

Hope that helps!

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »
I'd like to note that Disabling the VIACOM Plugin would be wise for troubleshooting (all plugins, for that matter), so that you can do equal tests with it enabled to identify if it is the culprit.

As an aside, playback and recording devices in Windows start out with the ability for applications to take exclusive control over them, and so in the event that the correct device is set but is unresponsive in one application, it may be due to it being held privately by another application. I believe your issue may be deeper than this, but at some point if no progress is made in troubleshooting, I would recommend disabling exclusive mode for each of your playback and recording devices in the Sound control panel.

Snacko

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 12:30:03 PM »
Thanks All for the great support on this..

@SemlerPDX
I did disable all VA plugins early yesterday..   It may be that Voicemeeter is taking exclusive use of the mics.  Although I have never had a problem with that..  I have them both set as inputs to VMP.   So I may have to bypass that..

@Gary
(Other > Windows > Change Default Audio Devices action).  ..  No, I don't have that command anywhere. 
And yes, I agree that VA is probably not the cause.  It's just reporting what has changed.  I will try all of these suggestions until I get it fixed.

This morning, as I was looking at the Event Log, and Device Manager Events for these devices, I switched the view to 'Devices by Container' and 'Devices by Connection'.  As I was doing this it happened again and Device manager updated and selected something in my USB Hub.  Can't remember what exactly it was, but I didn't recognize it. 

But, my USB Headset is plugged into that hub.  And even though that hub is powered, it is very, very old.  And the ports have seen better days.  So, I ordered an Anatek powered hub today from amazon, and it should be here today by 6.  I need a new hub either way..   But I think that may be the problem. 

I'm hoping!   :-\

Snacko

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 08:34:38 AM »
Well, that new Hub seems to have fixed the problem.  It hasn't happened since I switch to the new Hub..  Time will tell..

Thanks again for your help!!   :D