Author Topic: VA will not press keys.  (Read 4740 times)

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
VA will not press keys.
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
okay folks, I'm new to voice attack, but not new to computers or voice recognition. I have registered VA and have set a very basic command that simply types a letter. I've tried in notepad with several different keys and several different commands. It simply will not press the key for me.

I also adhered to the warning about team viewer and closed it. I also run Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but have even closed it with no results.

I tried this in standard and Windows game modes.

Oh yeah, and I'm running Windows 10 64 bit professional. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA will not press keys.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
Have you tried running VoiceAttack as an administrator?  Windows will block api input from applications in a lower security context accessing applications in higher security contexts.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »
yes. I should have included that in my original post. Running as administrator with one of the 1st things I tried.. Now it's set to run as administrator by default.
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
okay, I've been playing with this and I figured something out. It DOES work if I use the option to just press the key, but it DOES NOT work with the press and release option, which is what I really need. I've tried this with .2 seconds all the way up to 2.0 seconds.

Any ideas?
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »
Out of the box, what you are describing is a very basic function of VoiceAttack and at the very least will work against Notepad unless there is something else up on your machine.

Do you have any other third-party software that may be hooking the keyboard or have you set your process target ('send commands to' on the main screen) to something specific? 

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »
Okay, I should have followed up sooner.. Everything is working great now. Apparently, it was some kind of conflict with Dragon NaturallySpeaking after all. I do know, but they seem to both act buggy when both are claiming the same microphone.

I've been a Dragon user since the late 90s. I depend on it every day because I have muscular dystrophy. I can operate a mouse through my onboard wheelchair joystick system, and I have right and left click capability with my thumb, but noo keyboard whatsoever. I've used Dragon for years and have programmed many things into it with advanced scripting, but even after all I have seen Dragon do, Nothing prepared me for how amazing Voiceattack truly is. It's far superior to Dragon in so many ways other than dictation itself.. I'm trying to get used to Microsoft's dictation system, but not liking it very much. Even as I'm typing this, I'm using Dragon. But anyways, Voiceattack ROCKS! I haven't been able to play games in 20 years. Thanks the VA, I'm playing War Thunder, and am looking forward to playing Elite Dangerous!

Kudos to whoever was involved in creating this software. It's  Life-Changing!

Jerry Farris
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:05:56 PM »
Wow!  Thanks, Jerry :)  That's some great encouragement right there!  I'm very glad VoiceAttack is working out for you.

Make sure you get the beta if you have not:  http://www.voiceattack.com/beta   It's got a lot more in it than the release in regards top making sure things work properly (well... I guess that's the idea behind each release lol).

In regard to dictation, the Windows speech engine is not as refined as Dragon any means.  Dragon has a lot more work done in contextual recognition, where the Windows engine is rather raw.  The real idea behind VA's dictation is to be able to rattle off short things to your teammates and not really for anything serious (unless you can figure out how to get it to do what you want it to do).

Again, thanks for the feedback :)