Author Topic: Speech Engine Access Failure  (Read 1572 times)

zuffler

Speech Engine Access Failure
« on: January 12, 2023, 03:40:33 AM »
I was recommended to buy Voiceattack on Steam so as to be able to control my lance of mechs better in Mechwarrior 5. Great Idea I thought!

Bought voice attack via steam, hit play, I get an error message stating

'speech engine access failure

An exception has occurred while trying to access speech engine information from windows. The details of this exception at this point is due to permission restrictions on your computer yada yada yada'

I created a shortcut, tried to run it as an administrator as suggested and still no luck.

Would it be possible get an idiots guide to fixing this please and would it be possible to pin the solution somewhere under issues so people like me can easily resolve it please?

Thanks!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Speech Engine Access Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 06:02:48 AM »
That can indicate that your Windows installation does not have speech recognition components installed.

You'll need to either install a language pack for Windows that comes with a speech recognition engine, or install the speech recognition engine for your current language pack, if Microsoft has a speech recognition engine available for it but it was not installed.
Both are done through the "Language" tab in the "Time & Language" section of the Windows Settings app, under the heading "Preferred languages".

You'll want to read through this topic.

Once you have installed a speech recognition engine using either method, you may also need to start the Windows Speech Recognition application to initialize the components.

If you have further questions or require more information, you are of course welcome to ask.