Author Topic: "An unexpected error has occurred while contacting server."  (Read 1837 times)

jamesO2

"An unexpected error has occurred while contacting server."
« on: October 09, 2022, 09:59:38 AM »
Hi, I'm using the trial version of voice attack. Every time I start up the program I get this error message pop up:

VoiceAttack Version Check Error

An unexpected error has occurred while contacting server.

(OK)

I can just click OK, and the program continues to work normally. Haven't noticed any other issues. But this happens every time I start the program. I'm considering purchasing, but I don't know if this version check bug will be an issue for me or not.

I tried searching the forums for this specific error, and I didn't see anything.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: "An unexpected error has occurred while contacting server."
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 10:59:37 AM »
That would likely indicate VoiceAttack is being prevented from connecting to the internet on your machine.

If you search the Windows start menu for "Allow an app through Windows Firewall", open that, and check the "Allowed apps and features" list for "VoiceAttack", does it have a checkmark on the left-hand side? If so, does it have checkmarks for "Private" and/or "Public" on the right-hand side?

That is assuming you're not running non-Microsoft security software/firewall.

VoiceAttack will need internet access for initial activation, update checking, and any actions that utilize an internet connection.

jamesO2

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 09:23:22 AM »
Thank you! Adding it to the firewall exclusion didn't seem to work at first, but after reboot I'm not seeing this error message anymore.

Thanks.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 09:55:33 AM »
As Pfeil had mentioned, the error was displayed because VoiceAttack was not able to access VoiceAttack.com to check if updates are available. 

For those reading along, this check occurs if you've got 'Check for updates on startup' selected in the Options > General tab.  If for some reason you are not able to fix your firewall/internet security issue, you can disable this check (and keep the box from popping up) by unselecting that option.