Author Topic: Where to put voiceattack.dat on reinstall?  (Read 4233 times)

Rabe

Where to put voiceattack.dat on reinstall?
« on: June 22, 2022, 06:18:35 PM »
I know there must be a post out here somewhere with this info but I am unable to find it.

Had to reinstall Windows.  Found my old voiceattack.dat file but can't find the new one from the new install and none of the places I've tried seem to work.

I've reinstalled VA to D:\Program Files\VoiceAttack

I've tried putting my .dat file in:
D:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\
C:\windows\users\myname\app....

So where do I put this .dat file so I can get my beautiful programming logic back?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Where to put voiceattack.dat on reinstall?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:24:26 PM »
VoiceAttack.dat, by default, is stored in %Appdata%\VoiceAttack

There is a "Click here to browse VoiceAttack's data folder." link on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window that will open that for you.

Do note that third-party profiles that rely on additional components like plugins may not be fully functional until you install those as well.

Rabe

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 05:41:55 PM »
Instead of searching for this post, again, I trusted my memory and copied C:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\voiceattack.dat to a memory stick to restore to a replacement hard drive.  Too late I realized I copied the wrong file and putting this one in the correct location causes VA to error and quit.  Anyway I can recover my profiles using this file I preserved?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:54:24 PM »
VoiceAttack does not normally store its user-specific data in the installation directory. There should be no profile database in that location.

The only file named "VoiceAttack" written by VoiceAttack itself in that directory should normally be "VoiceAttack.exe", I.E. the application executable.

If you right-click the file you saved and choose "Properties", is there " Digital Signatures" tab?

Rabe

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 01:05:07 PM »
No, the voiceattack.dat file does not.  General, Security & Detail tabs only.
The va.exe file does but  you asked about the va.dat file I saved.

I've used the browse to va data folder feature and placed it in that location, relaunched VA but don't see my profiles.  I only see the base that comes with the install.

I don't understand why putting the va.dat file in the appdata folder worked when reinstalling a couple of months ago but isn't working now.  I figured this out once, but am stumped this time.  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:47:26 PM by Rabe »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 10:39:34 PM »
What is the size of the voiceattack.dat file you copied?

Rabe

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 07:53:27 AM »
4,048 KB

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 08:09:40 AM »
You mentioned an error message earlier; does that no longer appear?

The size of the .dat is too large to be just the default profile (which should only take up about 20KB), so if it is a a valid (undamaged) profile database file, it should be opened if you copy it to %Appdata%\VoiceAttack (while VoiceAttack is closed) and start VoiceAttack, the profiles in it should be loaded if they can be.

Rabe

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »
Stopped using the voiceattack.dat file that VA was claiming was corrupted and swapped to a fresh copy.  VA no longer complains and exits.

I must have copied the fresh file over while VA was running because I tried rebooting, reinstalling but when I exited VA, went and got a new copy and dropped that file into appdata VA started working.  Thanks for the assist.