Author Topic: Every time I open voice attack it says it needs to update.  (Read 2294 times)

Seaweed

Every time I open voice attack it says it needs to update.
« on: August 12, 2022, 03:57:33 PM »
Title says it all. I have updated 5 times, yet it always says it needs to be updated again.

Any ideas?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Every time I open voice attack it says it needs to update.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 04:25:48 PM »
Very strange.

Could you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Seaweed

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 01:42:13 PM »
Here you go. Update number 8 completed.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 02:13:26 PM »
Still very strange.  A VA installation is simply a file copy.

You’ll need to make sure that you’ve only got one installation of VA- it’s possible that you’re installing to a different folder than you’re running from.  Something to try also is uninstalling first- then installing.  Make sure to pay close attention to where VA is being installed, and make sure that you are launching VA from that location.

Seaweed

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 10:55:31 AM »
OK, I did some digging and found that there are two different locations.

My VoiceAttack icon opens the executable: "C:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"

My VAICOM Pro icon opens the executable: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack\Apps\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"

In the updater it led to the first executable. I changed it to the second one and it still says it needs an update. So while I think we are getting to the bottom of the problem I probably clicked on the wrong folder to do the install to. I would really like this to work instead of deleting everything and having to start over with binds.

Do I lead the updater to the first VoiceAttack folder, the second one, or somewhere else? Which do you think would be the optimum executable to launch the program from?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 01:08:14 PM »
Which of those directories is used shouldn't really matter to VoiceAttack itself, for normal functionality. Though the config file is specific to the installation location. I.E. any changes made to the settings (basically anything on the "Options" window; not to profiles or commands, as those are shared by all installations) of one installation would not apply to the other.

If the data for the third-party addon(s) you're using is stored specifically for one of those installations, that would obviously be the one to go with.
Otherwise, the website version is normally installed in the former location ("C:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\")

Seaweed

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 04:04:31 PM »
I use VA to play DCS. I have the Vaicom Pro addon, is that third party? Should I be doing my update to yet another destination that I haven't even found yet?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 04:26:29 PM »
VAICOM (PRO) is a third-party product, yes. It is not made by VoiceAttack.com

If you have questions regarding the updating of that product, and/or where it stores data, you'd want to contact the author.
Their support page lists a thread on the Eagle Dynamics forums, and an email address.

There is an unofficial, community-run Discord as well, which may be able to assist with certain issues.

VoiceAttack itself, by default would install to C:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\ for the website version, as mentioned.

You may want to inquire with the author of that addon which files to back up, so you can remove all installations of VoiceAttack (including any made through Steam) and the addon, then make a single install to the correct location (C:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\), and restore any backups afterward.

Uninstalling VoiceAttack itself does not normally affect the storage of your profiles (I.E. the uninstaller should not remove them), but the profile database can be found by clicking the "Click here to browse VoiceAttack's data folder." link on the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, in case you want to make a backup copy anyway (the "Backup" folder contains older versions of the database; "VAEffects.dat" may also be present, which stores any text-to-speech effects you may have created)
Settings can be backed up using the "Export Settings" button on the same tab of the Options window.

Seaweed

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 01:36:43 PM »
Sorry, was out of town for a few days. I don't know what I did but the update has seemed to take effect now.

I am going to work on moving everything around after making backups as you have suggested.

The application in the (C:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\) folder is for the trial version only. The version that I have paid for is through Steam, I may have to pay for it again just to get a registration key.

Thanks for your help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 01:39:27 PM »
Given that you have a license for the Steam version, uninstall any website versions, and re-install the Steam version.

Only the website version uses a key for registration. The Steam version should verify your license through Steam itself.