Author Topic: VA with DRE shutting down  (Read 2081 times)

rpeppler

VA with DRE shutting down
« on: January 18, 2022, 07:38:36 AM »
Hello.  I have used VA for a number of years with DRE for iracing without issue and really like the program. This past week I changed my AV to Bitdefender from AVG. Now VA shuts down after about 10-15 minutes by itself.  There is an exception setup in BD for VA in the firewall section that gives VA complete pass through.  I have also tested by shut off the firewall section of BD and it still happens.  I have attached a faultlog that shows out of memory exception. I have 64gb of ram in the computer and was watching a resource monitor and when VA shuts down it never comes close to showing 64gb in use.  Any suggestions of what to check for??

Note: DRE is the only plugin installed.. Running Win10

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA with DRE shutting down
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 09:27:20 AM »
Hi, there.

When an application runs out of memory, it means that it is running out of memory that it can access.  Since VoiceAttack's plugins run in the same space as VoiceAttack, they share the same allocation.  My guess is that DRE is caught in a situation where it is not releasing memory properly, which causes the entire app to shut down.  The only things that you will be able to do in regards to VoiceAttack is either turn off the plugin (probably not likely as you've probably got a really good reason to be using it), or try switching over to the 64-bit version of VA if you are still using the 32-bit version (check the Options screen to see if it says '64-bit' somewhere at the top).  Although the 64-bit version of VA can access much more memory, this would potentially be a band-aid as is it just moves the problem out to where it's just less likely to occur (the problem is still there).  You'll want to get in touch with the DRE folks and let them know what you are experiencing.

rpeppler

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 10:30:14 AM »
I appreciate the quick replay. I honestly thought I had the 64bit version but my options look like this so perhaps not??  And yes disabling DRE is a non starter and it everything has worked perfectly until just a couple days ago. 

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:40:33 AM »
That would be the 32-bit version. The installer for v1.8.9 is 64-bit by default, so you'll have chosen to specifically use one of the 32-bit installers.

The normal, 64-bit installer, can be downloaded from the main page of the website (https://voiceattack.com/Default.aspx#download-1) by clicking either the floppy disk icon, or the "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD VOICEATTACK VERSION v1.8.9 64-bit NOW" text directly below it, rather than the links to the 32-bit installer below that.

If there is indeed a memory leak with DRE, possibly because of a combination with a specific antivirus package, allowing more memory to be allocated only serves as a stopgap measure.
You may want to check periodically in task manager how much memory is being used. If the amount keeps increasing over time, without going back down eventually, you'd still want to contact DRE about that.

rpeppler

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:09:40 AM »
Pretty sure that is where I downloaded it from to begin with but I'll try it over.  Thanks.. I'll run some tests on the memory usage over time until it shuts down as well.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »
Have you tried turning off your antivirus completely (not just the firewall) for a while to see if that helps (I'm sensing a red herring)?

rpeppler

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 12:23:55 PM »
Yes I have. Same issue. I have since done the following steps. Completely un-installed and wiped out VA and DRE off the computer.. reboot.. downloaded 64bit VA and install..reboot.. ran some tests watching memory with no plug in.. it started much lower KB memory usage of course due to no plug in.. with AV on.. usage started around 200KB ish and it DID keep climbing..but slowly.. it never came down.. i turned off AV around 475KB.

I then installed the DRE plug in. It started out much higher of course at about 425KB ish. It was climbing from there..But it seems to have settled in the 575KB working set range even though committed is lower at 465KB. It hasn't crashed yet though and it has been running for about 20 minutes. It shut down within 8-10 min approx before and usually when it hit around 500KB.

So perhaps the issue for me was just the 32 vs 64bit and 32 not allowing enough ram usage cap for it?.. perhaps.. maybe.. hopefully LOL

I have a league SLM race this evening so it will get another test. I want to thank everyone to date with their feedback. Really good user site service here.