Author Topic: Wrong mouse positions while using High DPI scaling override  (Read 1690 times)

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
Wrong mouse positions while using High DPI scaling override
« on: January 08, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
So about two years ago, I started running my display at 4k (3840 x 2160). Because the Windows desktop is so tiny, I use a scale of 200%.. So the first thing I noticed is that the Voiceattack font was very hard to read. SO, I use the very common trick by modifying the DPI settings for the voiceattack.exe setting High DPI scaling override, performed by System. Fixed everything.

I soon realized that doing this makes Voiceattack think I'm running 1920 x 1080. But who cares, right? As long as it looks great. Well, I soon noticed that whenever I do a mouse move action, the mouse position on the screen is determined at a 1920 x 1080 reference, but again, who cares. The mouse pointer is where I need it to do what I need to do. Who cares if it's one pixel off.

BUT NOW, I'm trying to do mouse positioning in an actual application/window, and the positioning is completely off. At first, I thought it was just another matter of scaling my location from 3840 x 2160 down to 1920 x 1080, but it's so much more than that. Using the "set position" of the mouse pointer and rolling the mouse around on the application, you quickly see that it is somehow measuring the distance of the application the from the edge of the screen to determine its location.

Would be great if you could take a look at this. I know I can set my DPI settings back to normal and everything will be fine, but I just can't read the font like that.

Thanks a bunch!
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Wrong mouse positions while using High DPI scaling override
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:30:06 PM »
Hey, Jerry - good to hear from you!

Have you tried the latest beta?  VA has been redone in WPF to help with scaling.  As far as I'm aware, you don't have to make any adjustments - it should just work straight away (well, that's the plan, anyway ;)).

https://voiceattack.com/download   ---> over on the right side

Your data and everything will remain intact, so if you need to roll back to the release version, it'll be OK.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
Re: Wrong mouse positions while using High DPI scaling override
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »
Oh my goodness. The beta fixed everything! And it looks so much nicer now. So much easier to read now!

Great job Gary (and whoever else helps you keep this software so amazing)!!
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com