Author Topic: Using the alternate speech platorms still doesn't work  (Read 1572 times)

Shauncb

Using the alternate speech platorms still doesn't work
« on: December 28, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »
I am sure this is noted a many times. I have a fresh computer, with a fresh install of Voice attack. I was able to load the profiles I bought no problem (after watching YouTube) but I can't get the speech recognition to work for me. I can't start in either the windows provided one (say the location and language dont match, sadly they do. Both English in Canada) and I followed the instructions to load the alternate speech engines, but I still can't do the speech recognition yet. Maybe I am looking at the wrong stuff? Any help would be.... well..... helpful!

Shauncb

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Using the alternate speech platorms still doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:34:40 PM »
Hi, Shauncb.

Just to verify - you've installed BOTH the appropriate runtime for your version of VoiceAttack (that is, if you're using the 64-bit version of VoiceAttack, you'll need to have the 64-bit MS Speech Platform 11 runtime.  If you're using the 32-bit version of VA, you'll need the 32-bit runtime) as well as the appropriate speech engine?

If so, you'll want to make sure you've restarted VA after installing both.  Then, go to the System/Advanced tab of the Options screen and make sure that 'Use Installed Speech Platform Speech Engines' is selected.  If it was not, make sure it is selected, click, 'OK' and restart VA.

After VA restarts, make sure that on the Recognition tab you've got a speech engine OTHER than the one listed as 'Lightweight' selected (on my machine it is listed as 'Microsoft Lightweight Speech Recognizer v11.0' - make sure that's NOT selected).  That speech engine may not work.

Also while you are on the Recognition tab, make sure that 'Disable Acoustic Echo Cancellation' is checked, since if you have Nahimic running in one form or another it will cause issues with the Windows speech engine.

Click 'OK' and see if the bar on the main screen is moving.  If it is still not moving, you'll want to take a look at this thread:
https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=63.0

If the bar IS moving, but the speech engine is still not recognizing your speech, you'll want to look at this thread (it has been a major help for folks over the years):
https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=1635.0

Sorry for the information dump - the speech stuff is normally pretty seamless unless there are configuration or other issues on the target machine.  Hoping something in there might get you going.

Are you running Windows 10 or 11?  I do believe Canadian English should be installed with Windows (and not require Speech Platform 11).

Shauncb

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:48:42 AM »
Thanks for the help. I was able to get it working, after some trial and error. Not sure why Windows makes things so difficult. Still can't conduct any speech recognition training, but the program is working, so I guess I should take that as a win!Thanks again for the answer and help

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »
Note that if you're using Speech Platform 11, there is no applicable training. That only applies to the built-in SAPI engine

Speech Platform 11 is designed to be speaker-independent, and does not need to be/cannot be trained