Author Topic: Just starting out writing my first profile!  (Read 2750 times)

Asuna

Just starting out writing my first profile!
« on: August 24, 2021, 02:02:16 PM »
Hi everyone

I have started writing a profile for the Sims 4. I just have some question if that's ok.

How is the best way to enter screen coordinates? Is there a way to see them on the screen?

There are times when you can choose options on the screen, like "new game" or "load game", I am assuming that I would still have to use the screen coordinates to do this? Ark

A very kind forum member called @Alexthekid offer to write a profile for me, and we were talking briefly on Discord, but he hasn't been online for a while and I'm hoping everything is ok. . I wasn't sure whether my computer would handle the program but it seems fine, just not sure whether it will be able to cope with Discord and Sims at the same time.

Thank you ever so much for your time

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Just starting out writing my first profile!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »
Given that the hardware specifications in your picture imply a laptop, I'll assume you don't have a second monitor.

In that case, while you could theoretically overlay VoiceAttack over your target application, assuming it's running in a window, that'd also mean every open window (E.G. the main window, profile window, command window) would obscure more of that, so there probably isn't much of a way to view coordinates directly, as you move your cursor.

What you can do is begin the process of adding a mouse move action to your command, and clicking the "Set Position" button, which will open a dialog window that allows you to press a given hotkey (F8 by default) to register the current position of the mouse cursor.
That way, you can switch to your target application, press the hotkey when the mouse cursor is positioned as desired, and switch back to VoiceAttack to click "OK" to automatically input those coordinates into the "Move to coordinates" fields.

Do note that moving the mouse cursor doesn't work in all games, as some use a system that locks the mouse cursor to the center of the screen, and only registers relative movement. If you find that the coordinates equate to roughly the center of your screen, and/or executing the command containing the mouse move action doesn't have any effect, that may be the case.

If the target application supports other input methods, like keyboard keypresses, that aren't relative to a selection (I.E. they have a consistent starting point, so that if you press a given combination of keys, a given ingame action always occurs), that may be preferable.
E.G. if the ingame menu system supports arrow keys/enter to make a selection, and the starting item is always the same, you could have VoiceAttack press those for you instead, if you find mouse input isn't feasible.

There are a number of hotkeys built into the game that may be of interest, listed here (not for starting or loading games, but perhaps still useful).