Author Topic: Wireless headsets?  (Read 6489 times)

pavsko

Wireless headsets?
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:06:22 AM »
Is it possible (considering the quality of mic) to use a wireless headset to control PC via VA?
If yes, is there any proved or the recommended wireless headset?

EDIT: e.g. this cheap one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GTO07O
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:38:46 AM by pavsko »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Wireless headsets?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:11:22 AM »
No reason a wireless headset wouldn't work, if it presents itself as a recording device.

For that model in particular, audio quality seems OK. Like most cheaper headset microphones it sounds a bit "woolly". It does pick up puffs of air in the video, but that can usually be mitigated by repositioning the microphone.

Reviews imply the battery life is on the low end, and that it's probably not the most reliable(connection issues, battery stops charging altogether, microphone stops working, etc...), so YMMV.

This is my personal, biased opinion, but I don't buy logitech products anymore; The hardware is mediocre for the price, and the software can be downright abysmal.

The top comment on this Youtube video(which doesn't bother to include a recording of the headset mic ::)) does suggest it has a "hidden" bluetooth feature:
Here is what to do.
1. Open your computer, laptop or net book. Look for the  bluetooth menu and select bluetooth.
2. Have the bluetooth window up and have it search for new blue tooth devices.
3. Turn on the H600 power.
3. Hold down the mute button on the headset at the same press and hold the + volume power button on the headset. The volume Up + is located on the right side of the headset (microphone side) at the top of the blue ring.
The green light will start to flash steady and then start to flash faster.
You will see on the computer's blue tooth window it will say "searching for new bluetooth devices. As soon as as it finds the H600 it will appear and pare up with the H600. Release the mute and volume up + button.
You have added bluetooth feature to the H600.
It is now a H800.
Though it's of course unsupported by the manufacturer, so no telling how well that works.

pavsko

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:38:39 AM »
OK, thanks Pfeil for the detailed answer.
My main concern is how different are wireless mics comparing with USB wired headset mic I am using now (Sennheiser PC8). I guess I will have to create separate Windows speech profile for a wireless headset anyway...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:42:11 AM by pavsko »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
My main concern is how different are wireless mics comparing with USB wired headset mic I am using now
Even different models of the same manufacturer will likely have other microphone hardware inside, wireless or not. One thing that may affect wireless equipment in general is bandwidth; If they're compressing the sound to fit a limitation, the quality will suffer.
Sadly you can't go on a marketing claim of "crystal clear" or "noise canceling", which is why I'd suggest trying to find a Youtube review(or similar) that has a recording through that mic.

I guess I will have to create separate Windows speech profile for a wireless headset anyway...
It's very much recommended. If you were swapping between two headsets of the same make and model, you could probably get away with it, but any new/different microphone will have a distinct sound that the speech engine needs to be adapted to.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
My main concern is how different are wireless mics comparing with USB wired headset mic I am using now
Even different models of the same manufacturer will likely have other microphone hardware inside, wireless or not. One thing that may affect wireless equipment in general is bandwidth; If they're compressing the sound to fit a limitation, the quality will suffer.
Sadly you can't go on a marketing claim of "crystal clear" or "noise canceling", which is why I'd suggest trying to find a Youtube review(or similar) that has a recording through that mic.

I guess I will have to create separate Windows speech profile for a wireless headset anyway...
It's very much recommended. If you were swapping between two headsets of the same make and model, you could probably get away with it, but any new/different microphone will have a distinct sound that the speech engine needs to be adapted to.

I would even go so far to say that you should be prepared to retrain the voice profile is you apply any audio software/driver updates

pavsko

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »
I have just bought Logitech H600 wireless and tested:
I created a new profile and trained my PC.
VA works perfectly, no delays or mistakes from misunderstanding.

Fish

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »
H head's up, if you pardon the pun!.

I have a HyperX Flight, and no matter what i did, I could not get stable response in Voice attack. I think its due to the voice compression built in (cannot be turned off), which tends to clip some of the phrases.

Game zero, wired works flawlessly on the same rig.