Author Topic: Output Volume Control  (Read 5288 times)

LinuxDevice

Output Volume Control
« on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
Every time I boot to Windows 10 the text to speech is maxed out in the Windows mixer. We really need a way to pick volume output from Voice Attack without Windows getting to interfere.

EDIT by Pfeil: Functionality already available.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:16:41 PM by Pfeil »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Output Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:39:42 PM »
You can adjust the volume using the "TTS Volume Offset" option on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options.

As the documentation states:
Quote from: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf
Think of this as a main volume control for Text-To-Speech in VoiceAttack.

To the left of that option is the "Sound File Volume Offset", which can be used to adjust the volume of the "Play a Sound" and "Play a Random Sound" actions in the same way.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »
↑ 100% the best method!!  Set and then forget  ;)
 Windows is senile with regards to application volumes.  I keep my TTS Volume Offset at only 18!! Still pretty loud, enough to hear over in-game engines, sfx. etc.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 05:27:14 PM »
I should add that as far as I'm aware TTS does not have a separate volume slider in the mixer.

Make sure the "Audio Output Type" on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options is set to "Integrated Components", otherwise, if it is set to "Windows Media Components", a new instance will appear in the mixer for each sound that is played, which would likely prevent any volume setting from being saved properly (I believe that issue arose after a Windows update).

LinuxDevice

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I believe this has done the job. I haven't tried yet to see if it saves over reboot, but so far I believe things are looking good. If for some reason Windows decides to intervene I'll try again.

frankly

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »
How would one go about "decreasing all audio volume but voiceattack"?

Idea being to focus tts volume while getting information.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
Unless you want to write custom software for it that interfaces with the volume mixer to check which applications are actively playing audio, the most feasible approach may be to consider which applications would be playing audio in the scenario you're wanting to apply this concept (E.G. a game, a media player, a browser), and reduce the volume for those specific applications using a number of "Set Audio Level" actions (with a check to see if the applications are actually running, if the log message are an issue), then restore the volume once you're done playing back TTS audio.

frankly

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 08:06:14 PM »
Nice thanks!