Author Topic: Whats the purpose of Profiles?  (Read 1903 times)

varxtis

Whats the purpose of Profiles?
« on: June 19, 2021, 03:46:08 AM »
When Im in VoiceAttack, theres the obvious option of having Profiles. But Im curious what purpose Profiles serve in VoiceAttack. When Im working with profiles in something like Logitech G Hub, Profiles serve as a unique set of commands that you assign to a mouse or keyboard for a specific program or activity, IE one for gaming and one for office, one for Illustrator, one for StarCraft II, etc. If you have one profile active made for Illustrator, but then go into Starcraft, the hotkeys bound to the mouse may not work at all, or may execute undesired commands.
I've notice that vap files similarly have commands associated specifically to an activity, task, or program. The difference Ive noticed though is that some vap files might be dedicated to something very specific like system volume control. So, it leads me to wonder, do you choose which profile is active, or are all commands across all profiles active at all times. Seems pretty odd to have a unique profile for volume control via Nircmd, and then having to switch to that profile to control volume. if they are unique, and only commands for a selected profile are active, then it makes me think that maybe they serve as more of categorical storage boxes that you take/copy commands from and carry over to another custom profile. Speaking of Nircmd... the last update from the official site shows 2019. Is it still supported by Windows 10 and Voice attand?

Any input of that overly worded question? How do profiles work?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Whats the purpose of Profiles?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
Have you read the documentation? Press F1 while VoiceAttack has focus to open VoiceAttackHelp.pdf in your default PDF viewer, which contains information on VoiceAttack's features.

You can include profiles into other profiles, or set up profiles as global profiles so they're automatically included into any active profile, specifically so commands don't need to be copied into every profile you'd want to use them in.

NirCmd is not associated with VoiceAttack.com; VoiceAttack executes it like any other application, and does not specifically "support" it (nor does it need to; the application uses standard command line parameter-style input).

It makes calls to standard Windows APIs, which don't change very often at all, so chances are that it's still fully functional. The last blog post from the author of NirCmd is from June 13th, this year, so they're still maintaining their applications.

varxtis

Re: Whats the purpose of Profiles?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:02:29 AM »
Thank you!! II'll make sure to be more thoro.... I'll make sure to read the doc >_> sry.