Author Topic: VA not recognizing my Warthog HOTAS commnads  (Read 2320 times)

mnf1980

VA not recognizing my Warthog HOTAS commnads
« on: January 03, 2021, 02:16:03 PM »
Hi

I have a problem in VA that it is not recognizing the keypress of my HOTAS after VA started, it only recognizes the first assigned joystick.

I have to unassign the second joystick, close the app, open it again, and assign the second joystick to let VA recognize commands from both joysticks.

I have Warthog HOTAS (throttle and joystick), and I have commands in VA that use presses from both joysticks.

Other apps are seeing and recognizing both joysticks.

is there any idea about how to fix this issue?

regards

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VA not recognizing my Warthog HOTAS commnads
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:55:02 PM »
How are you checking whether both devices are working? Do you have commands assigned to their buttons?

Are any of the toggle switches on your devices set to a position where they continuously press a button?

Are you using Thrustmaster's T.A.R.G.E.T. software?

Are you running and third-party plugins for VoiceAttack? If so, does the issue still occur if you disable plugin support (and restart VoiceAttack)?

mnf1980

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »
yes, I have commands assigned to both joysticks, and I'm not using TARGET or any other software, just DCS (game) and VA.
there are no toggle switches in the commands.

Yes I usually use VAICOM plugins, I tried to disable all the plugins but the same problem happened again.

everything works fine if I close the app, open it again, and assign the second joystick again.

in the picture below, the test joystick buttons not showing any press from joystick 2 only the first one.

mnf1980

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 03:28:50 PM »
The below pic shows how it is working fine after unassign 2>restart VA > assigned 2 again, with the plugin enabled and VAICOM running.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 03:39:11 PM »
Just in case, you could try reinstalling VoiceAttack itself (uninstall, then reinstall; Profiles and settings should be preserved, though you can make backups from the "System / Advanced" tab of the VoiceAttack options window)

Did you turn down the polling frequency intentionally? It shouldn't matter if you're holding down the buttons long enough, but the default is 30Hz

mnf1980

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:48:53 PM »
I just tried your advice, uninstall>install again > VA recognize only first Joystic > assigned joystick 2 > test > working fine.

Restart VA and the same problem happened again, I increased the polling frequency back to 30 before testing but still have the same problem.

It seems that VA is only showing joystick 2 in the general tab but actually it didn't detect it after restarting VA.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 03:51:40 PM »
Are you always assigning the throttle to slot 1, and the joystick to slot 2? If you reverse that (assign the joystick to slot 1, and the throttle to slot 2), is it still the device in slot 2 that doesn't register?

mnf1980

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:33 PM »
Are you always assigning the throttle to slot 1, and the joystick to slot 2?

actually, this how VA detects my joysticks from day one, I tried now to flip them, and yes the device in slot 2 doesn't register.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 04:13:27 PM »
I'll assume you mean they appeared in that order in the "Select Joystick to Assign" window, as by default no devices are mapped to any of the joystick slots

there are no toggle switches in the commands.
Regardless of being assigned to commands, are they set to a position where they press a button continuously?

If you use different slots, E.G. 3 and 4, is it always the device with the highest number that doesn't register?

mnf1980

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 04:33:00 PM »
I don't think there is any keypress continuously from the throttle (I read in the forum about someone fixed something similar to this issue by making sure no switch is on, but this didn't help me).

I tried to assign the device to slot 3 but it didn't recognize the joystick at all (even after multiple restarts), and slot 4 behaves in the same way as slot 2.

mnf1980

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 04:45:50 PM »
I just tried also resetting to default, but still the same problem.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 07:17:35 PM »
As a general step, you can try a system file scan

Also check that the drivers for your joystick(s) are up-to-date

mnf1980

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 04:10:09 AM »
first of all, I would like to thank you Pfeil for your help.

I tried SFC but didn't find any problem, the same problem still there.

I don't think there is any problem with Win, as game controllers are detecting both joystick and throttle, and as in the picture below, buttons check from game controllers is detecting correctly joystick 2 but VA not showing any reaction.

Edit: I'm using the latest win10 update and the latest HOTAS driver from Thrustmaster
I also add a short video for the problem:
https://youtu.be/hlz7Bq8Jj-k

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »
Do you have another computer you could plug these devices into and run VoiceAttack (the trial/demo version has all joystick functionality available) on for testing?

Are they plugged in directly, or running through a USB hub?

mnf1980

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 04:08:58 PM »
Are they plugged in directly, or running through a USB hub?
yes, it was through a USB HUB. I changed it now to directly in the motherboard, but still the same problem.

didn't try yet to test on another pc, as it is not available right now.

this is a very weird problem and really annoying, is it only me who face this problem?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
I understand it's quite frustrating.  You are the only one reporting this type of error at the moment - a lot of folks are using Warthog joysticks and throttles with VA.  Since you are the only one reporting this type of issue, it's difficult to offer suggestions or pin down what the problem might be, unfortunately :(