Author Topic: In Elite Dangerous, VA stops responding when SRV is under attack  (Read 1421 times)

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
In Elite Dangerous, VA stops responding when SRV is under attack
« on: November 21, 2020, 06:58:23 PM »
Hi folks. It's been a while. So, I've been using voice attack with Elite dangerous for one year now and have made quite an incredible profile. Now I'm having a very strange issue. While in my SRV, and only when I'm under attack, VA stops responding after just a few commands. When I switch to the VA application, the voice meter at the bottom of the VA window is frozen. Existing commands that are already running continue to run just fine, but it will not take any new commands at that point. After SEVERAL MINUTES pass by, it will start working again. By that time, I'm usually dead. :-(

This is been going on for a long time. I have eliminated all plug-ins except EDDI and bindED. I do not use HCS.

Just to clarify, I have no problem using the SRV to scan objects, using the turret, etc. It's only when I come under fire. So frustrating. Any ideas?
Jerry Farris, Jr.
Entrepreneur, Programmer and Disability Advocate
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
Re: In Elite Dangerous, VA stops responding when SRV is under attack
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:03:12 PM »
Heya, bud.  Good to hear from you!

Have you tried turning off EDDI and see what happens while you are in your SRV?  EDDI is reading the journal and invoking VA functionality when certain events are encountered, so, that would be the first place I would check.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:29:54 PM »
Well, is there a way to turn off EDDI while in the game and then reenable it? Reason being is my script is heavily dependent on EDDI. I would have to change quite a few commands to test that theory.
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:49:18 PM »
I understand that one for sure, Jerry. 

We'll need to figure out where the problem is occurring - VA running on its own (normally) wouldn't be affected just in certain situations within a certain game.

The only two things I can think of with this one is either a plugin (EDDI) is causing the disruption due to events in the game, or there is a resource issue on your machine that's making the speech engine unresponsive (just a guess).

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:26:56 PM »
Thank you Gary. I know you're right. I'll let you know what I find out.
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 05:51:55 PM »
Okay, Gary, your theory was correct. Without the EDDI plug-in running, voice attack continues to work just fine while the SRV is under attack. When I reactivate the plug-in and try again, it stops responding immediately when I come under attack. I've already checked to see if there is any EDDI EVENTS that fire around that same time, and none are showing up in the event log.

What now?
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 01:02:13 AM »
Is the EDDI plugin up-to-date?

When VoiceAttack stops responding to spoken commands, does the GUI freeze up as well? I.E. can the buttons still be clicked, and do they respond?
If so, does opening and closing the VoiceAttack options window make any difference?

Regardless, as the issue does not occur without the plugin, you'll want to contact the developers of EDDI about this (unless updating the plugin does solve it); They are reportedly active on this Discord

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »
@Jerry - I can't remember - are you using any third-party TTS voices by chance? 

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
@Jerry - I spoke with the EDDI folks and they had indicated that the problem may be stemming from the use of Ivona 'Amy' - much like this thread, if you recall:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=3088.msg14882#msg14882   (Side note - I also have, 'Amy' and I'm still not able to make it crash while applying effects).

My suggestion at this point would be to stop using that voice, as it seems to not be getting along very well with your setup in some way :(

Is it possible to uninstall the voice as a test?  I believe the default TTS voice will be used in that case.

JGFarris

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
okay, I switched VoiceAttack and EDDI to use Microsoft Zira, and the problem still occurs.

I may have found a clue. As soon as the voice input freeze occurs, I can go to the options/recognition in VoiceAttack, and the drop down box for Windows Speech Recording Device says "Not a legal OleAut date.", And its grade out so it cannot be changed. Closing and restarting VoiceAttack brings it back to my blue snowball microphone.

I have noticed this "Not a legal OleAut date." before, during other strange things happening, so it may not be related at all.
Jerry Farris, Jr.
jerry@jerryfarris.com