Author Topic: {DICTATION} problems  (Read 3393 times)

Theagg

{DICTATION} problems
« on: October 01, 2020, 05:18:06 AM »
Trying to set up a simple dictation command but it's not working, see example.

Start dictation mode(clearing dictation buffer)
pause (X seconds, ie long enough to say the phrase)
Stop dictation mode
set windows clipboard to {DICTATION}
press left Ctrl+V to paste to chat/text window etc

The command fails to paste and the problem seems to occur at the 'Stop Dictation Mode' command. Looking in the VA window, at this point, before the paste option command,l the buffer gets cleared. ('dictation buffer cleared' message appears) So with that cleared, the command to paste runs empty. This is happening even though the 'Stop Dictation Mode' command does not have the 'clear buffer' tick box checked.

Also, following the 'Start Dictation Mode' command, no 'append buffer' message appears in the window. Suggestions ?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: {DICTATION} problems
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 05:26:42 AM »
If there are no "Append Dictation Buffer" messages in the log, there's nothing in the dictation buffer for your command to paste...

The "Dictation buffer cleared" entry appears when the "Start Dictation Mode" action is executed, after which you need to speak something that isn't recognized as a command, so it will be appended to the buffer.

Are you seeing "Unrecognized" entries in the log? If not, are you using the alternate speech recognition engine?

If you are, try making the pause longer, or using a command that starts the dictation mode without stopping it, for testing.

If the dictation mode does work with these changes, instead of using a pause you could use a loop that checks whether the dictation buffer is empty, and only continues the command when it's not (for one-shot dictation), or a command like this, so you can dictate as much as you need.

Theagg

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 10:10:33 AM »
Ahh thanks for that. I hadn't realised you have to wait for the 'Dictation buffer cleared' message before you can begin the dictation. The pause period then follows that. So I was 'dictating' before the buffer had cleared, with a resulting 'unrecognised command' message popping up.

Timing it from beginning the message until it gets fully pasted to the chat window feels like it takes forever as a result ! Example say 'message' to begin, then around 6 seconds before the buffer clears,  (saying anything before then resulting in 'unrecognised command'). The the defined pause period begins, in which you speak the relevant message', with several more seconds elapsing after speaking before it finally gets pasted.

Like this for example. Say 'Message' to activate dictation macro command. Then a required wait of around 6 seconds before you can say the message, in order to avoid 'unrecognised'.  The pause of X seconds then begins (4 in my case). Then say the required message within that pause period. "Help on west".(the 'append dictation buffer' message appears) Then there's another delay of around 6 -7 seconds after you finish dictating before the message gets pasted.

By which time the afformentioned near 20 seconds has elapsed, I'm nearly dead and the call for help is a little, hmmm, late in appearing !

Does the loop example you linked work faster than that ? Or other ways to speed up, as it seems that 'start dictation' command has a default 5 or 6 second delay before it will accept dictation (irrespective of whether the buffer is cleared) and, of course, in game, you are not keeping an eye on the VA window so don't know exactly when that period has elapsed.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »
There shouldn't be any delay in processing, given that the command that is running isn't set up to do so.

Is recognition generally slow on your machine?  If so, you'll want to take a look at this thread (ignore the title): https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

This usually solves slow recognition issues.  If that helps, you'll want to go into VoiceAttack's options and check the box labeled, 'Disable adaptive recognition' on the recognition tab.

Hope that helps some!

Theagg

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
I will check up on that link. I hadn't really noticed any long delays until trying out the dictation commands but I will also now time some of my basic commands. The delay with the dictation though is very noticeable. (the 'unrecognised' message that pops up after the 'start dictation' command, if you don't wait those 6-7 seconds being the most obvious)

When it does paste the message, of course, the Windows recognition problem re getting the words right also occurs quite often (despite being trained) but that's a different topic I guess:)

PotatoJedi

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 08:08:02 AM »
Hi. I just wanted to say I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. My normal VA commands have little to no delay between them, but there is a very noticeable delay between when the dictation buffer can be appended from the moment the command is recognised, and also when the buffer is cleared after the command to do so is recognised.

In other words, I may say "dictation on" and then have to wait a few seconds before my speech input is reecognised as "dictation" opposed to "unrecognised command". Same thing happens with "dictation off" – have to wait a few seconds  before the buffer is cleared and the text then gets pasted.

I saw that in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NZjzDj-Xk&feature=emb_title the guy had no delay with his dictations. Not sure what's up with that.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »
Did you happen to try what I had indicated in my last message concerning the rebuildin of your speech profile, PotatoJedi?

https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

When I try to recreate this, it seems to be working as expected (that is, without delays of several seconds).

PotatoJedi

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:48:42 AM »
Yes. I made a brand-new speech profile, went through the training and the problem is exactly the same. This is only with "Dictation". All other commands work perfectly fine.

I even went and tested the normal Windows speech recognition and tried dictating into a notepad. No problems there. I also made a new VA profile with just the Dictation commands in case there was some weird clash going on. Nothing. The problem persists.

Any other thoughts? VA is updated and all that.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 06:55:35 AM »
Just in case, you could run a system file scan, however more deeply-rooted speech recognition issues only tend to get resolved by a re(pair) install of Windows itself.

PotatoJedi

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 07:08:54 AM »
Did the system file scan. No luck. Not sure I really want to reinstall Windows. It's not a huge issue if I can't get this to work. It just would be nice.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 02:18:58 PM »
You can do a repair-install (Microsoft just calls that a "Reinstall" now) using installation media, which if you choose the default "Keep everything" option shouldn't affect your files and applications, though obviously that's still at your own risk, and making backups is highly recommended, just in case.