Author Topic: Voice to Text in Windows Applications  (Read 1405 times)

Talisman

Voice to Text in Windows Applications
« on: October 17, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
I need to be able to create and add text to email, word files, in short any application where text is required.  I've looked over the manual and found a section on dictation but it seems laborious to clear the buffer to the clipboard, then copy and paste to an application.  I have tremors in my hands and some days it takes 1 good finger from each hand to type out a message.  Did I miss something in the manual about direct speech-to-text functionality?  I play Elite Dangerous with  the HCS Singularity plugin which I enjoy.  I have begun creating "My Profile" to include basic windows commands but a simple speech-to-text function would be a huge help.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice to Text in Windows Applications
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
If you're looking to use dictation extensively, the built-in Windows Speech Recognition application may be more suited to that purpose.

Running it alongside VoiceAttack is not generally recommended in case one interferes with the other, however if you keep that in mind if you encounter issues (so you can shut down one and check if the issue still occurs in the other), it's worth trying.

That said, the Microsoft speech recognition engine is best suited to predefined commands; For a speech recognition system that is more focused on dictation, you could consider Dragon by Nuance (other speech recognition applications may also be available; This package, previous know as "Dragon NaturallySpeaking" is possibly the most well-known, though).

Talisman

Re: Voice to Text in Windows Applications
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
Pfeil,

Appreciate your response and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Talisman