Author Topic: Virtual Audio Cable And VoiceAttack Solution  (Read 8925 times)

terrencemc123

Virtual Audio Cable And VoiceAttack Solution
« on: July 02, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Virtual Audio Cable And VoiceAttack Solution
*This setup does not utilize VB-Audio, Voicemeeter or Banana etc., as they would be redundant programs and may actually cause looping.

A common problem I hear of from VoiceAttack and Virtual Audio Cable users is that VoiceAttack is listening to my computer instead of just my microphone.  This is what I came up with that worked for me.  I hope it helps you.
  • Set your Virtual Audio Cable control panel for 2 lines(Control panel not shown.)
  • Create 3 MME Audio Repeaters from your Virtual Audio Cable program folder.
    (Select default sound card from drop downs.  Device names may vary.  Wave in/out line numbers should not need changing.)
  • Set your default media player audio output to line one(VLC media player is shown below.)
  • Set VoiceAttack's "Override Default Playback Device" and "Override Default Text-to-Speech Device" options to line one.
  • Select VoiceAttack's playback/recording devices options according to your systems default soundcard.
  • To send sounds into Discord, Zoom, a game, etc., set that programs microphone as line two.
That's it!  Now you can send sounds to any individual VOIP software.  I use different push-to-talk buttons depending on which program I want to send sounds into so people don't hear me giving a command to VoiceAttack before it plays a sound file.
Optional:  Batch files can automatically configure and start MME repeaters for you.  Feel free to download the three (.bat) files below but you will need to edit them with WordPad or Notepad to your specific file locations and input/output device names.  Do not delete or add any of the character spaces in quotes for device names.  Use only the allotted spaces!  The file marked "3Repeaters.bat" is clickable and simply starts all 3 MME repeaters for you.  Mine is in my Windows startup folder.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:59:00 PM by terrencemc123 »

gamesturbator

Re: Virtual Audio Cable And VoiceAttack Solution
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 08:14:16 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing. Voiceattack doesn't seem to even need a media player to send MP3s to my mic. I suffer cognitive issues and really struggle with tutorials and comprehension these days so the few that I've found are hard for me to follow and usually don't specify Voice Attack. While I already know how to setup commands I am struggling with the device aspect involved. I want Voiceattack to play mp3 files through my mic and also want to hear what is being played so that people in game can hear them. (Fun trolling is my mission in life.)

So I would like to know which of these setting I need to change so that Voiceattack hears me speak commands and then feeds the mp3's through my mic and headphones using Voicemeter. Below are screencaps of how Voicemeter set up all of my audio settings by default after installing. I tried to adjust them but kept nullifying one thing or the other.

Default Playback/Communication device

Default Recording/Communication device

Speech Recording Device Tab in VA

Audio Tab in VA

Default Voicemeter settings

I thank you for your help ahead of time!  :)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
Your "Windows Speech Recording Device" option should be set to use your actual microphone, otherwise you're going to have the exact same issue as with "Stereo Mix", where all audio will be played to the speech recognition engine.

In VoiceMeeter, you need to combine the "VoiceMeeter Input" input with your microphone input, and set it up to output to the "VoiceMeeter Output" device; This may already be the case with the default setup (I have no personal experience with VoiceMeeter).

To output sounds played using the "Play a Sound" action and its derivatives to the "VoiceMeeter Input" device, set the "Override Default Playback Device" option to use that device (if you also want TTS to be played to that device, you'll also need to change the "Override Default Text-to-Speech Device" option)

terrencemc123

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
VoiceAttack may be able to play audio files on it own but I haven't seen a way to change the output to line two.  You can change the output line in VLC quite easily as shown in the opening post.  As for Voicemeeter or Banana, I've never used those programs so I'm sorry I can't help you with them.  From what I see though, I think you still need some kind of virtual cable if you want to blend a microphone and media player output into one line don't you?

gamesturbator

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.  I just want to use my voice to run these MEME sounds through my microphone (and be able to hear them running) instead of using keyboard shortcuts.  Even though it did I what I wanted using Stereo Mix is out of the question because of what Pfeil told me about it also including system sounds, etc.

terrencemc123

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
He is correct. Stereo Mix has limitations that are probably in your way right now.  I have disabled Stereo Mix in sound properties if you look at my example.  Have you tried to duplicate my personal solution?

gamesturbator

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 11:42:00 PM »
I'm working on it. Been busy today troubleshooting why my uploaded Youtube video have such a low mic volume.  Hoping I can reexamine what you wrote in your OP. I removed Voicemeter and will be starting over with just the VB cable which I think is part of all editions of Voicemeeter anyway but I want to start simple now.

terrencemc123

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »
I've re-worked my OP hoping it's a little more precise.  Plus I added some downloadable batch files as if you didn't have enough to learn.  Willing to help another audio comic anytime.  And screw em if they don't think we're funny.  LOL.

gamesturbator

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
I've no idea where audiorepeater is as it doesn't show up anywhere. I am such a Noob. Every guide I've checked wants to include some form of voicemeeter for discord or obs.

Maybe the question that needs to be answered is what is VA actually using to play the mp3 files? I don't see any app running other than VA when the sound plays.

Also looking at Chevolume but it too is confusing me as I tried every combo I can think of.   ::)

terrencemc123

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
To create a repeater, look in the VAC program folder.  Same install folder where the control panel is.  Select MME.  As for all the guides you've looked at not helping, I had the same problem which is why I started this thread.  All I can tell you is this works for me and I use it everyday. Remember, the sites your looking at all want to sell you something.  I don't.

Have you tried to copy my setup?

gamesturbator

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »
You could sell me that cute little dog you have as an avatar!  ;D

terrencemc123

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
She just passed away July 17th but thank you for the compliment.

gamesturbator

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 11:12:23 PM »
So sorry you lost your baby. My life is filled with pet-related grief. I've had so many dogs , cats, kinkajous, monkeys, birds. I think I killed my last cat by giving him milk whenever he begged me for it (lactose intolerance may be fatal apparently). 

Could this be the underlying issue?

Anyway, I even tried going back to Stereomix just to have SOMETHING but I can't even get that to work now.  :-[  Not sure what to do in the VB Audio Control panel as there doesn't appear to be any options except changing latency or bitrate. What do you mean by VAC program folder? In your own time. 

terrencemc123

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 01:28:16 PM »
VB Audio is not what I use so if you don't use my example entirely you may have conflicts.  As for the VAC program folder, look in your start menu once you've installed it.  VB Audio does not use repeaters.  Virtual Audio Cable and VB Audio are not the same things.

gamesturbator

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
Edit: This is embarrassing. I just noticed that Stereomix was my voice recognition setting so the following may be a lie.  :-[

I've always assumed  Virtual Audio Cable was VB. Now I know better. Worth $30 for trolling joy? IDK. Thanks! VA is now playing my MP3 files correctly though my mic   

I kept trying the mic test online https://mictests.com/ and https://www.onlinemictest.com/ but neither heard the playback of the mp3 files (except when I accidentally set voice recognition in VA to Stereomix). Then I realized there is no option for my browser to select line 2 as input. Will be testing it in-game tonight wish me luck.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:21:47 PM by gamesturbator »

gamesturbator

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
Well, as it stands my main game Modern Warfare 2019 only has "default system device" or "default communication device" as my options so no way to select line 2. I don't see a lot of MP games I play offering anything further than those options.

So what I did was set my "Windows default communication" device to Line 2 and kept the "default device" as my actual microphone. Then in game I selected "default communication device". Problem solved--far as I know.

I literally bought a laptop to run the sounds into my main computer as an alternative. I also bought a dedicated condenser mic to avoid my headset bleeding sound into its built-in mic so VoiceAttack would hear ONLY my microphone.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 01:54:10 PM »
You don't need any additional hardware, VoiceMeeter can do what you're trying to do by itself:
  • Install VoiceMeeter and reboot your computer
  • Set hardware input 1 to your microphone by clicking the "1" button on the left-hand side of the window, and choosing the relevant device preceded by "WDM" from the dropdown
  • Remove hardware input 1 from bus A (click the "A" in a circle for that section so it's not green)
  • Set hardware output A1 to your normal playback device (E.G. speakers or headphones) by clicking the "A1" button on the right-hand side of the window, and choosing the relevant device preceded by "WDM" from the dropdown
  • Set the "VoiceMeeter Output" device as your Windows default recording device (multimedia and communications)
  • On the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, set the "Override Default Playback Device" option to "VoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO)" (do the same for the "Override Default Text-to-Speech Device" if you want TTS played back to that device as well)
  • On the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window, set the "Windows Speech Recording Device" option to your physical microphone
  • Click "OK" to save the changes

This is a basic setup, where now both your microphone input, and VoiceAttack's sound output, will play to the default recording device, which you can then use in games.

You will still hear the sounds through your chosen playback device, but you won't hear yourself talking into your microphone

One addition you'll likely want to make is to add push-to-talk or push-to-mute (so you can issue VoiceAttack commands without them being heard by other people); VoiceMeeter comes with its own macro/hotkey application, which can be opened by clicking the "Menu" button, and choosing "MacroButtons: Run on Voicemeeter start", which should only need to be clicked once, as enabling that option will from then on automatically open the macro application when you open VoiceMeeter.

A window with a single blue button should appear. Right-click the button, and a window with a whole bunch of options will open.

On this window, do the following:

In the "Button Name:" field, enter the text that will appear on the button (E.G. "push-to-talk")

Use the "keyboard Shortcut:" dropdown to choose the keyboard key(s) that will trigger push-to-talk (or push-to-mute)
If you want to prevent the key from getting through to other applications (the equivalent of VoiceAttack's "Do not allow key to be passed through" option), check the "Exclusive Key" option

If you want to set up this hotkey for push-to-talk (I.E. you normally talk to VoiceAttack, but when you push the button you'll talk to other people), paste the following into the "Request for Button ON / Trigger IN:" field:
Code: [Select]
strip[0].mute = 0.0fAnd this in the "Request for Button OFF / Trigger OUT:" field:
strip[0].mute = 1.0f
If you want to set up this hotkey for push-to-mute instead (I.E. you normally talk to other people, but when you push the button you'll talk to VoiceAttack), paste the following into the "Request for Button ON / Trigger IN:" field:
strip[0].mute = 1.0fAnd this in the "Request for Button OFF / Trigger OUT:" field:
strip[0].mute = 0.0f
Now click "Ok" to save the changes.

At this point, pressing the keyboard shortcut you chose in the "Keyboard Shortcut:" dropdown should affect your microphone (you'll see the "M" symbol on VoiceMeeter" change when you press it)

To stop VoiceAttack from responding when you're talking to other people, you'll also want to set it up for push-to-talk or push-to-mute.

If you chose to set up VoiceMeeter for push-to-talk:
  • Click the "..." button next to the "Recognition Global Hotkey" option on the "Hotkeys" tab of the VoiceAttack options window
  • Check the "Enable keyboard global hotkey" option
  • Press the same keyboard key(s) you used for VoiceMeeter
  • Click the "VoiceAttack stops listening while keys are down" option
  • Click "OK"
  • Click "OK"

If instead you chose to set up VoiceMeeter for push-to-mute:
  • Click the "..." button next to the "Recognition Global Hotkey" option on the "Hotkeys" tab of the VoiceAttack options window
  • Check the "Enable keyboard global hotkey" option
  • Press the same keyboard key(s) you used for VoiceMeeter
  • Click the "VoiceAttack listens while keys are down" option
  • Click "OK"
  • Click "OK"

Just so we're clear: Stereo Mix does not come into this; Literally none of the options should be set to Stereo Mix

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »
Awesome work, Pfeil!

gamesturbator

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »
Awesome feedback as always, Pfeil! Thank you!  ;D

terrencemc123

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 06:37:30 PM »
That's great and thanks for helping the community.  But my solution largely eliminates microphone line noise problems such as white noise, static, stuttering and clicking being widely reported.  https://forum.vb-audio.com/viewtopic.php?t=451  Sure the VoiceMeeter's are good but too many controls tend to trip up the average computer user.  They did me.  (Description boxes would be a nice idea.)

{Weird statements removed by admin.}
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:04:27 PM by Gary »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 07:37:18 PM »
As I mentioned in my first post in this topic, I had no personal experience with VoiceMeeter (until I installed it to write the instructions, for my previous post). I mention that application only because I know other VoiceAttack users utilize it, and have no personal stake in it (nor is my mentioning of it intended as an endorsement)

I can't speak to any issues with that software either. Again, I don't personally use it, and I haven't heard about such issues from VoiceAttack users (though that's not necessarily something that would be spoken about in a VoiceAttack context).

One advantage VoiceMeeter does appear to have over using separate repeaters, is that it facilitates muting one input (the microphone, in this case), without also muting everything else going to the virtual recording device.
This allows playing back sounds without needing to simultaneously actuate an ingame/application specific push-to-talk feature.

As an aside, looking over the instructions in the first post, I notice the image shows VLC set up to output to "Line 2", whereas the instructions state "Set your default media player audio output to line one.  (VLC media player is shown below.)" (the latter is correct). This shouldn't be an issue for people following the instructions step-by-step, but may be confusing, or lead to misconfiguration if people work off the image directly