Author Topic: VoiceAttack crashing on start-up  (Read 1742 times)

bholcomb007

VoiceAttack crashing on start-up
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
OK, I have posted on this issue before and have been digging to find an answer.  Now with the new version, it appears we now have an exception to help track down this issue.

The following is the fault file in the app directory:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at (Object )
   at VoiceAttack.Program.(String[] )
***VoiceAttack v1.8.6 - Windows 10.0.18362.0Unable to access plugin information [Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index]

I hope this will pin down the issue so I can get back to installing all of my voice packs and get back to playing my game!

Thanks,
    Ben

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VoiceAttack crashing on start-up
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
Have you disabled plugin support using the Ctrl-Shift dialog, as Gary mentioned?

If you are unable to open that dialog, navigate to VoiceAttack's installation directory and move the "Apps" folder somewhere else (E.G. to your desktop), then try starting VoiceAttack again.

bholcomb007

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »
I have tried the Ctrl+Shift and no dialog.  Also, I have removed the Apps folder to no avail.

Same issue as before, but now with the new update it is showing the actual error in the fault dump.

Latest:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at (Object )
   at VoiceAttack.Program.(String[] )
***VoiceAttack v1.8.6 - Windows 10.0.18362.0Unable to access plugin information [Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index]

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
Have you tried running VoiceAttack as administrator, just in case it's a permissions issue?

bholcomb007

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:46:25 PM »
Yes, it has administrator priveledges.
I have run out of options...lol
Not sure what is causing this.  I was quite excited to see after the update I get a bit more info on the error in the startup.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »
Heya, Ben -  You'll want to run VA from its installed location - hold down CTRL + Shift while double-clicking on the VA icon.

Also - are you running VA with any additional command line parameters or have anything within VA's Apps/Import folder?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »
If you still can't get the dialog to come up that way, find your settings file and rename or move it (note that this will revert VoiceAttack to the trial version, however no profile data should be lost).

As plugin support is disabled by default, that may also have the desired effect.