Author Topic: Key press hold etc. not functioning correctly  (Read 1721 times)

gamesturbator

Key press hold etc. not functioning correctly
« on: July 12, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »
When talking in games I hold my alt key, speak, then release it. Tried doing this with sound files that I play through my mic and noticed none were getting through. Went to keyboard tester sites and none registered me holding the alt key down. Keep in mind I always click apply after creating a command.

I tried using holding the alt key for x amount of time to give the sound time to play out. The alt key did not stay held down. Tried using press the alt key, playing the sound to completion, then release the alt key. I even tried toggle the alt key, playing the sound, then toggle the alt key again. None of these worked to keep the alt key pressed down.

I then tested using the z key in a document to see if the hold key down for 3 seconds option would type the letter z repeatedly but it did not.  I tried press the z key down, pause for  3 seconds, then release the z key. I then tried toggle the z key, pause 3 seconds, then toggle the z key again. The z key did not repeat.

Forgive me if these images look too large in the post. I am simply using myimgur to capture the area of interest. Messed up a couple so left them out.  I've also attached a short video explaining what I mean in case my writing is gibberish.  ;D

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Key press hold etc. not functioning correctly
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:33:38 PM »
The command in your screenshot is configured incorrectly, resulting in the key only being held down as long as it takes for the "Play a Sound" action to be processed, rather than the time the sound will play.

Holding a key down in software does not result in repeated characters like holding a physical keyboard key will, this is normal.

For testing keypresses, I'd recommend using an application like DIView

gamesturbator

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »
I botched my screenshots and just posted 2 of them. Should I have checked "wait until sound completes before continuing command"?

I did try the command where the key is held down for the length of the sound (very cumbersome to inspect so many audio files) but the keypress recorders did not register the alt key being held down for the set length of time. In the program that you linked (Malwarebytes blocked the URL so had to add an exception) it does show the total number of milliseconds the key is held down for but it also instantly registers the key being released while the sound is still playing. This is a mystery to me.

I've obviously missed something. Perhaps you could write out an example of the correct way to press and hold the alt key long enough for a sound to complete playing and then release the alt key to stop mic transmission.

BTW Why doesn't it repeat typing a key such as the letter 'A' if the command says to hold it down? I have Voiceattack to target the active window. I also tried telling it to send "hold A" to the word document I had open.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 08:25:41 PM »
Should I have checked "wait until sound completes before continuing command"?
If you want the key to be held down while the sound plays, yes.

BTW Why doesn't it repeat typing a key such as the letter 'A' if the command says to hold it down?
Holding a key down in software does not result in repeated characters like holding a physical keyboard key will, this is normal.

That's how Microsoft's API works.

gamesturbator

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 09:28:50 PM »
Glad you are so smart and informed! So "wait until sound completes before continuing command" is probably going to solve my issue then?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
Checking that option will instruct VoiceAttack to wait until the sound has finished playing before executing the next action in the list, which for the command in your first screenshot would be releasing the left Alt key. That should result in the left Alt key being held down while the sound is playing.

gamesturbator

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »
Just totally resolved my issue in every way. Thank you!