Author Topic: Voice Attack does not execute TTS commands properly  (Read 1300 times)

PhoenixHawk

Voice Attack does not execute TTS commands properly
« on: June 15, 2020, 08:21:37 AM »
Hi,

I upgraded my machine and reinstalled it completely, and after new installation my VoiceAttack won't speak to me anymore when executing commands.

So to test this I created a fresh profile with a single command:

Code: [Select]
When I say: "Hey there", Say "Hey there"(and wait until it completes).
In the editor, when I click on "Preview", I hear the correct TTS output.
However, when I'm in the Profile window, and right-click on that command and select "Excecute", I don't hear anything.
Also, when VA is running normally, and I say "Hey there", I see that the command is recognized (green), but I don't hear anything.

The output channel of the command is set to "Default", which are my speakers.
Also, when I execute the command, I can _see_ in the sound control panel, that something seems to be played on the speakers, but I don't hear anything.

What could be the problem here?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice Attack does not execute TTS commands properly
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
What is the "TTS Volume Offset" option on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window set to?

That option does not apply when previewing TTS, which could explain the difference in volume between preview and command execution.

It needs to be set to 100 if you don't want the volume to be reduced when a command with a TTS action is executed.

PhoenixHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
It is set to 100.
Strangely enough, if I set the "Override Default Text-To-Speech Device" to the speakers I can hear it.

I went into the Windows Control Panel -> Speech Recognition -> Change Text to Speech settings, and also when I use the Preview Voice button there, I have the same effect. The visual indication in the sound options shows that something is played, but I don't hear anything.

PhoenixHawk

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
Argh. scratch that. I figured it out.

It's a bit embarrassing. I have no clue how that happened.
My speakers are connected to a normal stereo jack on the back of my computer.

However, in configure audio device, it was set to 7.1 surround.
So I can only guess that the TTS output is sent to the audio device on one (or multiple) of the other 5 channels that are not specifically "left" and "right" (probably center or Ls/Rs).
So they were sent to the device (and I could see the bar moving) but did not hear anything.

After setting the configuration (right click on the device in the audio control panel -> configure speakers) to normal Stereo, I can now hear the voice in the default settings.