Author Topic: Voice Attack shuts down unexpectedly  (Read 3637 times)

radial madness

Voice Attack shuts down unexpectedly
« on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
Hi,

I've been using VA for a couple of years now with DCS and can't sing it's praises enough.  GREAT product.  Last week I decided to take the dive into Vaicom Pro and RTFM, configured it and created a new Windows Speech Recognition profile (set it as default).  Although there are a number of words/phrases that require additional work, I have been successful for the most part and can do PTT with wingmen and JTAC reasonably well.

Unfortunately VA has been completely shutting down during PTT exchanges.  It seems to happen after a command is issued that VA/Vaicom Pro does not recognize (see above words/phrases and additional work).  I can understand the recognition issue and my need to train more but what can be causing VA to shut down entirely while running DCS?  Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice Attack shuts down unexpectedly
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
Does this crash still occur when you disable plugin support?

If not, you'll want to contact the author of VAICOM PRO; Their support page lists a thread on the Eagle Dynamics forums, and an email address.

radial madness

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:34:11 AM »
No it does not crash when plugin support is disabled and my old DCS profile is used.  I contacted Vaicom Pro Support with the following VA VoiceAttackFault.txt entry which occurred during the latest crash:

3/27/2020 8:19:52 PM***************************************************************************************
System.ArgumentException: Source array was not long enough. Check srcIndex and length, and the array's lower bounds.
   at System.Array.Copy(Array sourceArray, Int32 sourceIndex, Array destinationArray, Int32 destinationIndex, Int32 length, Boolean reliable)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Insert(Int32 index, T item)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain. (   )
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain.聞 . ()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
***VoiceAttack v1.8.3 - Windows 10.0.18363.0

The following is from the Windows Application Event Log with some more info:

Application: VoiceAttack.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
   at System.Array.Copy(System.Array, Int32, System.Array, Int32, Int32, Boolean)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Insert(Int32, System.__Canon)
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain. ( )
   at VoiceAttack.frmMain+„ . ()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I'm at a loss here.  Can you steer me in the right direction to at least test some possible faults and/or fixes?  Many thanks!

Stan

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
If it's not crashing when the plugin isn't loaded/running, it's likely the plugin is causing the crash.

That is something the plugin author would have to fix on their end.

radial madness

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »
Well you were right, sort of.  I isolated the issue to a conflict between Vaicom PTT button 4 and my linked VA profile for DCS.  PTT button 4 shortcut and the DCS keyboard command for "autopilot altitude" were both using keyboard number 4.  I use VA command for "autopilot altitude" quite frequently to put my ship in an orbital flight path.  Since all PTT functions are set on my HOTAS it was simply a matter of disabling PTT shortcuts in Vaicom Pro.  All is good now but still confused as to why this would shut down VA.  ???

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:29 AM »
If Vaicom (or any profile) is handling hotkeys in some manner and the command associated with the hotkey invokes a plugin function, the code that is executed within the plugin is code that, although external to VoiceAttack (in a .dll), is still running within the VoiceAttack application space.  If the code in the plugin breaks and the break is not handled (unexpected), it will actually bring down the entire application.

Make sure that you share your findings with Hollywood over at Vaicom so that he can use it to help solve this issue.

Thanks for the update, btw!

radial madness

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »
I also sent to Vaicom Support so we could all be on the same page.  Stay safe!