Author Topic: Voice Attack reverting to unlicenced.when not called via Steam  (Read 1421 times)

CaptainDennis

Hi, I am new to the product and I purchased it via Steam,  When I launch it outside of Steam I get the unlicenced version,  In iyt the licenced.  Is there anything I can do to cute this?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice Attack reverting to unlicenced.when not called via Steam
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:51:40 AM »
How are you launching it without Steam? Did you make a shortcut to the executable of the Steam version, or did you install the website version?

CaptainDennis

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »
I ordered through Steam, then ran the installer.  It placed the short cut on the start menu.  If I use that I get the trial version, if I launch via steam the full.  It's just the thought occurs that if I intend to use it for STO, do I have run as Admin, if so, how do I do that via Steam?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »
Use the "Run VoiceAttack as an Administrator" option on the "System / Advanced" tab.

Ran which installer? Did you download an installer, or are you referring to the Steam installation process?
If you installed the website version using a downloaded installer, uninstall it and use the Steam version for which you have a license instead.

If you want to create a shortcut that launches the Steam version without also running Steam (provided VoiceAttack already activated itself), follow this guide.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »
If you downloaded and used an installer outside of Steam, you've downloaded and installed the standalone (website) version.  You will need to uninstall it, as it does not use the Steam client for it's licensing - rather, it's looking for a registration key (which if not provided will revert to the VoiceAttack standalone trial).

Next, you'll want to open up your Steam client and install VoiceAttack from there.  That will usually install VoiceAttack in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VoiceAttack folder.

Inside that folder, you'll find VoiceAttack.exe.  If you run VoiceAttack at least once with the Steam client running, VoiceAttack will pair itself up with your pc and you don't even need the Steam client from that point on.  You can then set the properties of the VoiceAttack.exe to run as admin, or use the internal setting on the Options > System/advanced tab ('Run VA as an administrator').