Author Topic: "Send commands to this target" never works  (Read 2393 times)

eracerhead

"Send commands to this target" never works
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »
I have Voice Attack (currently v1.8.3) launch at Win 10 startup, and it stays active and minimized to the tray at all times. 

I have one or two games running through Steam, each with their own profile.  I would like to use the "send commands to this target" in each profile, so that VA doesn't add errant text to spreadsheets, word docs or browser windows when I'm not gaming.  I gather that's what that option is designed for.

However, even after a couple of years and several different versions of the software, I simply have never been able to  get it to work.  Any commands I run get the "Unable to get a target for command <blank>" error, and nothing happens.  The only option I have left is to either keep everything sent to the active window or turn off VA when I'm done, either of which is a huge pain.

I've tried using both the game and Steam itself as targets, but no joy on either.  Is there some trick to get this to work?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: "Send commands to this target" never works
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
What are you using as the target? (Partial) window title? Process name?

Have you tried using Notepad as the target for testing?

You'll also want to upgrade to the latest release version, v1.8.5.

eracerhead

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 03:33:00 PM »
OK; I upgraded even though this hasn't helped in the past. 

The game is Assetto Corsa Competitizione.  I had been using the pulldown menu to select "AC2.exe" from the list of active programs.  With that chosen, it sent commands to any active window.

But I decided to look in Task Manager and noticed that there was a "AC2-Win64-Shipping.exe" that was also active, even though it doesn't show in the pulldown.  I entered that in the box and it seems to be working fine now.  Don't know why it's never showed there.

Thanks

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
The dropdown only shows main window titles, which is fine for most cases.  If you want to add a process name (which is what you've found), you'll need to type it in manually.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out!