Author Topic: Updating an existing profile on import instead of creating “<name>-1”  (Read 2335 times)

alterNERDtive

Hey, it’s me again with another feature request :D

It would be great to have the option of overwriting an existing profile of the same name when importing a profile. Right now it will instead create a new profile “<name>-1” (and keep counting up if you repeat it, I guess).

That is fine in general, but will mess with things if the profile you want to update is included in other profiles. It would be nice to have a way of overwriting the existing profile instead; either as a prompt/option when importing, or as something you can define for an exported profile or a profile package.

Let’s say I have a current profile “current” and an included profile “included”. So, current situation:
  • I import “included.vap” or “somepackage.vax” that has “included.vap” in it.
  • A new profile “included-1” is created.
I have to either delete “included” first, or delete it after importing and rename “included-1” to “included”. In both cases I then have to fix “current” to include commands from the updated “included” I just imported.

Ideal situation:
  • I import “included.vap” or “somepackage.vax” that has “included.vap” in it.
  • I am either prompted to overwrite “included” with the new version, or it is done automatically because a flag has been set in the exported profile / the profile package.
In this case I do not have to manually delete or rename anything, and I do not have to fix anything in “current” to re-include commands from “included”.

I hope I was able to make my issue clear, if not feel free to ask away.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
You can overwrite commands using the "Import Commands" dialog (opened using the corresponding button on the "Add/Edit a Profile" window), though that does not work for .vax files

alterNERDtive

That can lead to all kinds of funny problems. The most obvious is that removed commands will still be around, potentially causing issues. A less obvious one is the one in the attachment :)

Egil Sandfeld

+1 would be nice to have an overwrite feature for profile imports.

Or even better an automation of it using command line options or something similar.

My users' journeys currently:

• Install update to VA plugin
  • Open VA, delete existing profile
  • Manually find the new profile and import it into VA

Step 2 and 3 would be gone if this feature request could happen :)

If it's a matter of safety, what if the existing and overwriting profile both had the same unique id, essentially making sure the overwriting profile is only allowed to overwrite an older version of that same profile?

Gary

• Administrator
I have it down to add the ability to overwrite a profile - no ETA on availability, though :(