Author Topic: Voice attack causing major issues with Elite Dangerous  (Read 1888 times)

Wulfzbane

Voice attack causing major issues with Elite Dangerous
« on: January 01, 2020, 06:47:46 AM »
Hi

Running when running VA on its own I cant see any issues, however as soon as I load up Elite, VA doesn't pick up any speech.
Also it causes various text to flicker on the screen (search next to the windows button), and when I run task manager is flickers and is nearly unreadable (task manager box is virtually blank, but text flashes on on off!).

Also in task manager when I can see it, it appears that windows explorer is using 70 - 80% CPU, which only happens when VA is running....

Any help appreciated

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice attack causing major issues with Elite Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
Are you running any plugins? Does this issue occur when you disable plugin support (uncheck "Enable Plugin Support" on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window and restart VoiceAttack)?

Wulfzbane

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »
Just tried what you suggested and didn't change anything. As soon as I got into elite same problems :(

Wulfzbane

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »
Just to add a little more info, this was a clean install, uninstalled from steam then re-installed.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
Well, that's certainly a very strange issue you're encountering there, Wulfzbane - this would be the first time I've heard of VoiceAttack doing this.  VA doesn't explicitly do anything that would cause text to be distorted, however, it does touch various Windows components to do what it does (and those components touch other components and so on).  This would indicate that there's something amiss on your setup.  You'll want to first try doing a system file scan just to see if there's something quickly identifiable (assuming Windows 10):  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker     This is good to do from time to time (takes a few minutes but not terribly long to run).

As far as the speech cutting out, you'll want to look at mic setup:  https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=63.0  You'll want to make sure that Elite is not interfering with your sound setup in any way (are you using VR?).

Just to be clear, are you saying that VA runs fine unless Elite is running at the same time?   Also, a clean install (uninstall/reinstall) will not erase your VA settings - you'll want to make sure that plugins are not running.

One more thing - you'll want to try running VA via its Load Options screen by holding down CTRL + Shift when you launch VA.  When the Load Options screen is displayed, you'll want to try disabling/enabling the first four options and see if anything changes for you.

Hope that helps!

Wulfzbane

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
Think I have fixed it, completely by fluke!

In the display settings in Windows 'Play HDR apps and games' was selected. I have had issues with this previously (even though I do have a 4k HDR display!). I unselected the option and it now seems to be running everything without issue.
(and in HDR strangely!).

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, hopefully this will sort the problem completely