Author Topic: Cannot turn off "run as administrator"  (Read 3171 times)

sthompson

Cannot turn off "run as administrator"
« on: December 20, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
I tried turning on run as administrator because of the problem of not finding a speech engine. Now that that problem is supposedly fixed I want to try turning it off again. The box is unchecked, but it still always starts as administrator. This is not set in the desktop icon itself. uninstall / reinstall did not fix the problem. Any thoughts as to how to convince VA and/or Win10 to go back to default behavior?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Cannot turn off "run as administrator"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »
Did you verify both options for running as administrator are unchecked while editing the shortcut?

One is on the "Shortcut" tab, under "Advanced..." -> "Run as administrator", the other is on the "Compatibility" tab as "Run this program as administrator" (the latter actually affects the executable itself regardless of whether you use that particular shortcut to launch it).

sthompson

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Yes I verified that both options for running as administrator are unchecked in the shortcut. Also checked this in the executable itself. And when it starts as administrator the option for this in VA itself is unchecked too.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 07:17:22 PM »
We can't rule out VA as the culprit, since the feature is relatively new (even though it is a basic Boolean flag).  As a test, you may need to wipe your settings.  Go to Options > System/Advanced tab and back up your settings by clicking on, 'Export Settings' and save your settings somewhere.  Then, go over to Options > General and click, 'Reset Defaults' (don't clear your registration data).  Restart VA.  If that fixes the problem, your settings probably got out of sorts.  If not, simply import the settings by going back to the System/Advanced tab and import your settings.  If that does not fix, the problem, you've got your executable set up somewhere where you're launching it as an admin.  If you can't find out where you've done this, you may need to reinstall.   Your VA settings and profiles will remain intact.

Hope that helps!

sthompson

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 08:49:10 PM »
Gary: Resetting options to defaults made no difference. I then logged into an administrator account, uninstalled the software, deleted the folder where it had been installed, and reinstalled it (1.8.3). Rebooted the machine and logged into my non administrator account. The program still wants administrator credentials to start. When the UAC prompt comes up, if I click on the "show more details" link it tells me that the program location is...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -asadminREBOOT

I get this even if I double click on the executable itself instead of the shortcut on my desktop.

We can't rule out VA as the culprit, since the feature is relatively new (even though it is a basic Boolean flag).  As a test, you may need to wipe your settings.  Go to Options > System/Advanced tab and back up your settings by clicking on, 'Export Settings' and save your settings somewhere.  Then, go over to Options > General and click, 'Reset Defaults' (don't clear your registration data).  Restart VA.  If that fixes the problem, your settings probably got out of sorts.  If not, simply import the settings by going back to the System/Advanced tab and import your settings.  If that does not fix, the problem, you've got your executable set up somewhere where you're launching it as an admin.  If you can't find out where you've done this, you may need to reinstall.   Your VA settings and profiles will remain intact.

Hope that helps!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »
Look inside your Apps/Import folder - Is there anything in there? 

Usually C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\Apps\Import   If there's anything in there, delete it.   What is it?

If there's nothing in there, try disabling plugins and restarting VA.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 10:06:30 PM »
Also - this is going to be a weird question, but, when you launch VA, are you going directly to the installation folder and running VA from there?

C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe

sthompson

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 10:25:46 PM »
I have nothing in Apps\Import. I have disabled plugins. I tried starting both from the desktop shortcut and by double clicking the executable at C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe.  I still always get the UAC prompt for administrator password when starting the program.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »
Here's my hypothesis:

As you're logging into a different account to run as admin, the config file will be stored for that account

You ran it as the normal user, set the flag, and from then on VoiceAttack relaunched itself as the admin user instead, meaning the config file you reset would be the one on the admin account, not the regular one.

Press Win+R to open the "Run" dialog, paste in
Code: [Select]
%localappdata%\VoiceAttack.comand press enter (or click "OK"), then move or delete the subfolder(s) in there and retry launching VoiceAttack from the regular account.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
Very strange.  The only time VA should be using the -adminReboot flag is if:

There is a .vax/.vap in the import folder (restarts itself as admin to import files)
You run VA with the -asadmin flag (restarts as an admin if it's not already doing so)
You select, 'Run as admin' from the Options > System/Advanced screen (works the same as -asadmin flag)
Something is explicitly running VA with -adminReboot (nothing should be doing this)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
An alternative to having to mess with the config files that should also work:

Run VoiceAttack with the "-clearasadmin" parameter from the regular account, which should clear the flag in the correct config file for you.

Easiest way to do it would probably be: Press Win+R to open the "Run" dialog, paste in
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -clearasadminand press enter (or click "OK"), then try launching VoiceAttack (from the regular account).

sthompson

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 12:36:42 AM »
That did it. Thanks!

An alternative to having to mess with the config files that should also work:

Run VoiceAttack with the "-clearasadmin" parameter from the regular account, which should clear the flag in the correct config file for you.

Easiest way to do it would probably be: Press Win+R to open the "Run" dialog, paste in
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -clearasadminand press enter (or click "OK"), then try launching VoiceAttack (from the regular account).