Author Topic: How do I switch VA between Elite Dangerous (Steam) and Oculus Rift S?  (Read 2401 times)

Balzarog

I have been using VA with HCS voice packs in Elite Dangerous (Steam) after voice training with my Corsair Void Pro headset and mic. I love the ease of commanding with VA.

I recently tried using VA with my Oculus Rift S, but it didn’t work. I start Oculusdebggertool to set my supersampling and Oculus before I start VA. I start VA with the “Run as Administrator” command, the same as I have to when I run it in Elite Dangerous, put on my HMD, and start Elite from inside Oculus Home. When I enter my Elite solo play, I don’t hear the normal “Welcome” message, and I’m not able to use VA. I’ve switched my sound setting from my Corsair headset to the Rift S, but no joy. I have VA targeting “Active Window” or something like that, but have also tried it with “Oculus” targeted. The strange thing is that when I quit VR, I get the voice pack “Goodbye” message. I haven’t tried it yet without Oculusdebuggertool running.

I welcome any suggestions and helpful comments. I really want to be able to use VA in VR since it’s a natural fit.

Thank you in advance

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: How do I switch VA between Elite Dangerous (Steam) and Oculus Rift S?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »
Make sure you have the Windows default multimedia playback device and the Windows default multimedia recording device set to the correct device (I.E. your VR headset); Oculus will play audio to the headset directly (without requiring it to be the default device), as will some VR applications, but desktop applications will not (unless you can and do specifically set them up to do so).

VoiceAttack should automatically play audio to the Windows default multimedia playback device, without requiring you to change anything manually.

However, the speech recognition engine must be reset when the Windows default multimedia recording device is changed if it is running while the change occurs. To do so you can restart VoiceAttack, or use the "Change Default Audio Devices" action which will reset it for you.

Do note that speech recognition training is specific to the microphone you are using; If you experience difficulty getting commands recognized, create a new speech recognition profile and train it with your VR headset microphone.
Training one profile with different microphones is not recommended, and will likely result in less accurate recognition.

The command target setting is irrelevant to audio input or output ("Active Window" is the correct setting in most cases, though).

As a general recommendation, make sure the "Audio Output Type" option on the "Audio" tab of the VoiceAttack options window is set to "Integrated Components".

Balzarog

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
Thank you very much for your very quick response! I tried the steps you suggested, and it works (I think it was the “integrated components” that did it).

I’m new to VA, and still a noob in Windows 10 (I’ve used a Mac since the 1980s, and only recently built a gaming PC), so could you give me an idea about how to create a new speech recognition profile if I have the need? I did a “training” with my Rift S mic, and it seems to work well (I guess I could just wear my Corsair Void Pro headset over the Rift since they’re big enough, and use them to completely avoid the issue).

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »
Ah, I had intended to put some links in which apparently I didn't; This topic describes how to create a new profile (ignore the instructions specific to removing the previous profile).

If you're going to use multiple speech recognition profiles, this inline function can also come in handy to switch between them.