Author Topic: VoiceAttack never suspend listening  (Read 3723 times)

krokss

VoiceAttack never suspend listening
« on: September 01, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »
Hello....
Does anyone else have an issue that his voiceattack is executing commands ivn when it's ''listening suspended''?
It's a bit annoying as the point of me telling ''her'' to not listening is to well... not listen and execute commands :D.
Btw I have ''allow other commands to execute while this one is running'' unmarked.

So did I missed something or is this a common issue?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:15:49 PM by Gary »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VoiceAttack never suspend listening
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 01:08:42 PM »
If you've got listening turned off, VoiceAttack will still execute commands via keyboard, mouse, joystick, etc.  VoiceAttack will execute a voice-triggered command if you have it set up to do so (with overrides, for example).

What is  your log showing when this happens?  If VoiceAttack's listening is turned off (that is, the little red, 'no' symbol shows up over the headset icon on the main screen) and the log says, 'Recognized - some command' (and not something like, 'Shortcut - some command'), it's possible your installation is borked up as that is a very simple flag.  You should try reinstalling.  Otherwise, it's doing what it should by design ;)

krokss

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
Yeah... I have listening turned off (red ''no'' symbol is there) and I can get trough all my commands and it won't respond (which is good), but then I look at chrome or talk to my girl and she gets pieces of out talk and execute commands just as if VA would have listening turned on.

When I open log, I can see she recognised a trigger and executed the command altho my red ''no'' sign is on my headset icon.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
Interesting.  Do any of the commands that are executing have a first action in them that is, 'Start Listening'?  That can act as an override.

Also, when, 'Not listening' is turned on, is the bar at the bottom also red when you speak?

krokss

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:38:29 PM »
Yeah the bar is red.
It's interesting that only few commands are triggered.
I have non english words which I've added to Speech recognition software and those 2-3 words are getting triggered. I have 1st letter that is optional and 2nd that is action letter.

I'll try to add if statement and prob. fix the prob that way. Altho I rather see that it wouldn't keep popping up.

One other question (if it's prefered to have a new topic for it, please do move to ne new one ;) ):
How can I lower the surround sound or mute other sounds except for VoiceAttack when it say something? I know I could write and certain action in every command, but is there an global command for it? Maybee to lower or mute win speakers except for VA?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »
What is the first action in those new commands that you added?

Yes - please start a new thread for a different question ;)

krokss

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 04:12:52 PM »
When I say [little;]quieter (altho in my language)

The first command is:
Say (something in my lang) and whait until it completes
Next command is:
Set application [*VLC*] audio volume offset to [-10]

And that's that....

(additional info: I have marked allow other commands to execute while this one is running)

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »
In your profile options (Edit profile, click, 'options') - is the first box on the General tab selected ('override listening')?

If no, you've got something going on with your installation.

crickert

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 11:56:05 PM »
Same issue here. VoiceAttack jumps to the top of the TaskManager list, which is sorted by CPU usage, when I speak into the microphone. However, vocie commands, joystick commands, mouse commands, and keyboard commands are deactivated. The voice bar at the bottom of the VoiceAttack client window is red, when I speak.

After having read this forum post, I've removed a command that did run the "Start Listening" action. This did not change the behavior described above. In addition, there "override listening" is not active in the General tab of the options window for the active profile. I've also reinstalled VoiceAttack to the latest version, albeit with no effect.

Is there anything else I can try or provide logs to help you @Gary?

P.S.: Interesting observation. Does the CPU usage eventually have something to do with the activation/deactivation of the sleep mode? This is what I see in the VoiceAttack event list:

3.) "Exiting sleep mode. Voice recognition enabled."
2.) "Entering voice recognition sleep mode. Move or click the mouse, or press a key to enable voice recognition."
1.) "Listening suspended"

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 08:39:24 AM »
Have you tried any of this with a brand new profile and made sure that there are no plugins running (by unchecking the box in Options > General labeled 'Enable Plugin Support') ?  Also, on the General tab, make sure that, 'Load profile on startup' is cleared, clear any global profiles and make sure, 'Profile switching' is turned off.  A quicker way to do this is to Export your settings (Advanced tab), saving them and then clear all your settings by going to the General tab and clicking, 'Reset defaults'.  You can then import your settings again afterwards.

Sleep mode can be deactivated by clicking the mouse or pressing a keyboard key.  If something is simulating a key press or mouse click somewhere, the speech engine will come back on if it has deactivated.

Hope some of that helps!

iceblast

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
My friend had a similar issue. He's using windows 10, and VA would constantly start listening. If you ran your mouse over the listening icon, the red sign would disappear. Though, if he edited anything in the profile, after a few times, he would have to restart VA, because it sort of stopped working.

I tried everything I could think of to fix this problem, and it just didn't matter.

We both have the same mouse though, the Logitech G600 20 button mouse. We are both using the same software for it. I still am, with no issue, but Logitech came out with a totally new version of their software. So he install it, and suddenly, VA started to work perfectly. That was a few months ago.

So, apparently, something in the old Logitech Gaming Software, on Windows 10, wasn't compatible with VA.

He had reinstalled Windows 10 multiple times, wiped out VA, and voiceattack.dat many times, and it didn't solve the problem, not till he switched to a new version of the Logitech software. After that, no issues.

I bring this up, because maybe something like this might be happening on your computer. I'm guessing, maybe another program that controls the keyboard or mouse, which for some reason is conflicting with VA, but it's unique to your computer. Because my friend and I were running the same version of the same Logitech program, he was having issues, and I wasn't, and I'm still using the same version no issue.

crickert

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »
I've followed your recommendations step by step, none of those worked.
In addition, I've completely removed VoiceAttack from the PC, removed the registry entry from "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VoiceAttack.com" and reinstalled it: no improvement.
I've also tried to run as an Administrator, again, with no positive effect.

The only option that did prevent the CPU usage from spiking every time I speak into the microphone (voice, keyboard, mouse, joystick deactivated) is "Disable Speech Recognition" in the Recognition tab of the Options. As far as I can tell, the effect has therefore something to do with the invocation of the Windows Speech Recording Device/Engine.

crickert

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
My friend had a similar issue. He's using windows 10, and VA would constantly start listening. If you ran your mouse over the listening icon, the red sign would disappear. Though, if he edited anything in the profile, after a few times, he would have to restart VA, because it sort of stopped working.

I tried everything I could think of to fix this problem, and it just didn't matter.

We both have the same mouse though, the Logitech G600 20 button mouse. We are both using the same software for it. I still am, with no issue, but Logitech came out with a totally new version of their software. So he install it, and suddenly, VA started to work perfectly. That was a few months ago.

So, apparently, something in the old Logitech Gaming Software, on Windows 10, wasn't compatible with VA.

He had reinstalled Windows 10 multiple times, wiped out VA, and voiceattack.dat many times, and it didn't solve the problem, not till he switched to a new version of the Logitech software. After that, no issues.

I bring this up, because maybe something like this might be happening on your computer. I'm guessing, maybe another program that controls the keyboard or mouse, which for some reason is conflicting with VA, but it's unique to your computer. Because my friend and I were running the same version of the same Logitech program, he was having issues, and I wasn't, and I'm still using the same version no issue.

Interesting. I'll check what Logitech software is running in the background ... I have a Logitech camera installed.

Update: Logitech software is up-to-date. I even removed any Logitech software from the memory (using the Taskmanager) and unplugged external devices. Unfortunately, that did not help. :(
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:52:15 AM by crickert »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
You might want to try using an alternate engine to see if that helps (doesn't require training, but also doesn't allow dictation)-  http://voiceattack.com/alternate   Pretty small/quick installation as well, and easy to revert.

crickert

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »
I thought about changing to an alternate engine, but I've decided against it. For the time being, I'll not auto-start VoiceAttack with Windows but use it on-demand only.

"VoiceAttack never suspends listening" seems to go beyond VA itself and therefore, beyond the scope of this forum.

However, tanks for looking into this!