Author Topic: Which Crewman is Assigned to a Specific Bridge Station in Elite Dangerous?  (Read 1910 times)

Armblessed

First off, I want to say to the Devs, that VoiceAttack is simply amazing. I use it while playing Elite Dangerous in VR. Elite is an amazing game in VR but combined with VoiceAttack, it hits an unprecedented level of immersion. Thank you for making this a reality.

That being said, I've hit a spot in my learning VA that I can't seem to overcome. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to discern if there is a variable that contains an identifier of the crewman voice pack that has been assigned to a bridge position. e.g. Celeste assigned to Number One, Cleo to assigned Tactical, or Eden to Engineering, etc
Maybe even the opposite would be good too. Essentially, I'm just trying to find a way to create a command that can identify what crewman is assigned to what role.

I saw the ~~role variable being kicked around in a few posts but I'm really missing something. All I can discern from what I've read is that ~~role can pass a variable to subcommands. I have successfully applied that ~~ concept to my other commands. However, I still can't seem to figure out where ~~role gets its initial value from?  I've tried to get it to write it's value to console and it always comes up Not Set. I'm pretty stuck.

Admittedly, I'm still kind of shaky on the command creation in VA but I'm good enough to consistently try to punch above my weight class.

Any help would be grand.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Which Crewman is Assigned to a Specific Bridge Station in Elite Dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
For questions regarding third-party HCS Voice Packs products, you'll want to ask them on their forum, or their Discord.

Though, as the documentation notes (press F1 while VoiceAttack has focus to open VoiceAttackHelp.pdf in your default PDF viewer), the "~~" prefix denotes a variable that only exists within a given chain of execution. I.E. it must be set by either the initially executed command, or any command executed by it using the "Execute Another Command" action.
Any commands outside this chain will not be able to access that specific variable value (however they can have their own, independent variable by the same name).

Armblessed

Re: Which Crewman is Assigned to a Specific Bridge Station in Elite Dangerous?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:47:03 AM »
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

You also confirmed something I was unsure about regarding the value and how it worked.
That in itself I am very grateful for.

Thank you again! :)